Electrical Testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When work is completed on an installation that requires electrical certification can a person who has completed the C&G 2391 Inspection and test of Electrical installations complete the tests required? However this same person is not certified by a professional body (NICEIC) can they still officially provide the test documentaion required? Many Thanks!

Sponsored Links
...yup. The only requirement is that the person is 'competant'. 2391 goes someway to proving this. Being registered with any of the trade bodies has nothing to do with it.

topsparks said:
...yup. The only requirement is that the person is 'competant'. 2391 goes someway to proving this. Being registered with any of the trade bodies has nothing to do with it.

Absolutely - the only requirement is to be competant,
C & G 2391 is likely to prove competance, but is not the only means.
However, warning, even though I am a C & G 2391 holder, plus being of many years experience, I almost always shy away from "periodics" as so much can be missed even when testing everything you were taught and all of which you`ve learned.
Certifying your own work ONLY is the safest route.
Ive seen many periodics miss out the most obvious things (NICEIC the majority) and the not so obvious to many but to me pretty routine and still I worry about what I might miss.
¬cos frankly people, sometimes "pro`s" do the daftest things.
Put your name to other folks work is a NO NO.
Sorry but experience guides me to advise you.

Sponsored Links
ebee said:
topsparks said:

Absolutely - the only requirement is to be competant,
C & G 2391 is likely to prove competance, but is not the only means.
However, warning, even though I am a C & G 2391 holder, plus being of many years experience, I almost always shy away from "periodics" as so much can be missed even when testing everything you were taught and all of which you`ve learned.
Certifying your own work ONLY is the safest route.
Ive seen many periodics miss out the most obvious things (NICEIC the majority) and the not so obvious to many but to me pretty routine and still I worry about what I might miss.
¬cos frankly people, sometimes "pro`s" do the daftest things.
Put your name to other folks work is a NO NO.
Sorry but experience guides me to advise you.

That will really put the nail in the DIY market with part p and all - unless the diy'er goes and gets the qualifications - plenty of councils are looking for PIR's for works carried out by non electricians

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back