Pump runs continuously

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There, this is my first post and am hoping to find the answer to my problem, i have a pump next to my storage tank that will not stop running. I think the pump is for circulating the water around the central heating circuit and the hot water circuit. yesterday morning we used the boiler to top up our hot water which i used the 1 hour boost on the time controller. we got the hot water ok but noticed 7 hours later the pump was still running. The only way i can stop it is to isolate the power supply next to the time clock and hw and ch controller. there is also a thermostat on the side of my storage tank which is a megaflow cl210 on what i think is a sealed unvented system. there are also 2 x 2 port valves on this system and a room thermostat. could anyone help me to locate the reason? we think this may have happened some time ago as well but today after switching the power back on the problem seems to have self rectified for now!! any advice much appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
What is the make and model of the boiler?

Is my problem likely to be caused bye one of the valves or could it be a boiler problem?

Sponsored Links
I am guessing that this is a hot water circulation bronze pump.

Sometimes these are fitted ( badly ) to run all the time.

In better installations they are on a thermostat and/or a timeclock.

It would be better for you if you had a heating engineer inspect it and tell you exactly what it does and how it is or should be controlled and make any improvements or repairs as necessary.

I suspect that the pump is correctly fitted with appropriate controls but you are ( wrongly ) not fully heating your cylinder. You should have the hot water selected on for most of the day! NOT to just heat it for a short period every now and then.

Tony

Its probably the first time that you have noticed it or not properly heated the whole cylinder as you should!

Tony

Its probably the first time that you have noticed it or not properly heated the whole cylinder as you should!

Tony

We would Definately have noticed. We usually heat all our water on economy 7. Also the pump is now not running after the hour boost if we use it. It seems to be an intermittent fat and would like some assistance in finding the problem.

We usually heat all our water on economy 7
. Also the pump is now not running after the hour boost if we use it. It seems to be an intermittent fat and would like some assistance in finding the problem.

Why do you do that?

I dont follow fuel prices very closely and with oil it depends so much on storage capacity and when its bought. But I would be very surprised if electricity is cheaper than heating with the boiler and particularly when the boiler is already being used for central heating.

Its possible that when the CH is not in use it would be cheaper to do the water heating with the economy 7 as the boiler is less efficient on part load.

I still suspect your pump IS correctly controlled and you have just had a situation where the water is not hot enough to make its stat turn it off. You can only check that by examining the system and measuring the temps. ( Or getting a heating engineer to do that, possibly when its next serviced. ).

Tony

We don't use central heating very often. I use far to much oil when we do!!! My house had 3 wood burners which provide a good temperature as we get the
Wood free..night rate a kwh is 5p +vat. Oil alone to heat the water for our tank would be much higher from my workings..

We usually heat all our water on economy 7
. Also the pump is now not running after the hour boost if we use it. It seems to be an intermittent fat and would like some assistance in finding the problem.

Why do you do that?

I dont follow fuel prices very closely and with oil it depends so much on storage capacity and when its bought. But I would be very surprised if electricity is cheaper than heating with the boiler and particularly when the boiler is already being used for central heating.

Its possible that when the CH is not in use it would be cheaper to do the water heating with the economy 7 as the boiler is less efficient on part load.

I still suspect your pump IS correctly controlled and you have just had a situation where the water is not hot enough to make its stat turn it off. You can only check that by examining the system and measuring the temps. ( Or getting a heating engineer to do that, possibly when its next serviced. ).

Tony

I would suspect that one of your 2 port valves is the cause, in that the end switch is staying closed intermittently when the valve has closed off.
Did the boiler fire from time to time when the pump was running on?

Yes, I think it may have fired up a couple of times but mostly just the pump running and a power light on on the boiler.

At the moment we dont know if this is the one heating pump or its a hot water loop pump.

In the case of the latter then there would be another pump elsewhere for the heating water ( and that could be inside the boiler casing ).

Can you post a picture showing the pump and the pipes connecting it to the cylinder?

Tony

I think there is only the one pump and 2 x 2 port valves. One valve is on the hot water loop on the bottom of the tank and the other controls the rads I think. I can post a picture when I get home later if that's ok.

At the moment we dont know if this is the one heating pfump or its a hot water loop pump.

In the case of the latter then there would be another pump elsewhere for the heating water ( and that could be inside the boiler casing ).

Can you post a picture showing the pump and the pipes connecting it to the cylinder?

Tony

Hello again, If I have done I correctly there should be some photos of my pump and valves now on this post..It was hard to fit everything into the frame so if there's any more info you require other than this I will try to explain it. I think the valve you can see is for the central heating which we rarely use and the other valve is just out of sight on the bottom of the storage tank on the primary flow port of the tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back