Transco meter or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a new meter caninet

Got a pipe entering the cabinet

Is the pipe live?

The pipe has an isolating valve on it but it has a brass cap and the cap has a lead seal and wire through it and a small screw that obviously stops the handle being moved to turn it on stop you nicking gas i guess.

Is this a normal state that a pipe would be left in at a property with no meter?
There is another pipe at the other side of the house about the same size but this one has a black barrel 3/4" dome blanking cap on but no lead seal

Any ideas people! :D

Sponsored Links
Yes it is, contact your gas supplier to get a meter connected, will then need a corgi to connect domestic side.

Thanks Gasman but is it the one with the seal or is it the one with the black barrel dome cap?

Who fits meters is it The Legend TRANSCO :rolleyes: Or can some other firms do it in these de reg times?

The supply is probably the one with brass cap. To get a meter, you must first decide who you want to buy your gas from and then ask them to arrange the meter fit. Transco are only responsible for supply pipework up to meter connection.

Sponsored Links
strewth Chris do Transco fit in Cuba toooo?

Thanks for the reply itll be the cheapest supplyer then:cool:

Just didnt want to fit the box over the wrong pipe :oops:

They're still trying to get a ruddy pipe down here...

pipework up to meter connection
INCLUDING the meter is Transco's.
I undid a dome cap thingy once to see if it was live. It was. Woman on the phone got ever so tetchy. I asked how she'd find out but....

ChrisR said:
INCLUDING the meter is Transco's.
Are you sure it still includes the meter? I recently reported a meter that wasn't registering gas to Transco and they didn't want to know. Said I must inform gas supplier, but since I had no way of knowing who gas supplier was, I couldn't do anything more.

Sort of! Only Transco or a few licensed companies actually furgle with meters and regulators, but yes it's the gas provider who initiates it. Question arises when you change gas supplier, does the ownership of the meter go with it!
If you need attention to a meter and you don't know the supplier, there's a number transco will give you to ring for the Meter point number. For that you need the post code! Painful procedure.

Most people find that going to British Gas is the quickest way to get gas connected. You can change suppliers afterwards.

Whilst the other suppliers should be able to do it, most seem to have some problems.

Tony

Ah yes the MPRN thing i know all about that now!

it took them a week to tell me i didnt have one and the reason i didnt have one was that its most likely that we have never had a meter fitted.

ahem thats why we need one as we have no meter, a further 4 days and we get one!

now another week to get a meter with whoever we choose.

Its getting ruddy cold now and no LPG left in the tank!!!

If the tanks only serve your property there is no need for a meter, the gas governors and under/over pressure shut off devices will be fitted at the tank. Always get an lpg corgi to come and take a look though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back