Will 22mm Yorkshire fittings seal on 3/4 inch pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I apologise in advance as I expect this question has been asked before but I tried searching and I could not find it.
I need to couple 22mm to 3/4 pipe. I have just used my last 3/4 inch olives and I can't get any more quickly. Can I solder 22mm Yorkshire fittings to 3/4 inch pipe, perhaps adding extra solder?

Sponsored Links
But you can often squeeze a 22mm olive down to seal on 3/4". I'd consider it temporary though, till you can get another olive.

I would not always agree with Chris H on the above!

IF the 3/4" pipe is coming down then you can open out the end until its tight in the solder fitting and then you can run solder in to fill the gap, preferable the "lead wiping solder" and keep it pasty.

You can also do a bodge job with a 22mm olive in a compression fitting. Tighten it up first then open it and wrap lots of PTFE between the olive and the pipe end and it will usually make a passable seal.

Another bodge is to do the above and then solder the tightened olive onto the pipe.

Sorry to suggest bodges but in this industry one has to know about solutions to get things back on line!

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
Or you can flare the 22mm pipe to fit over the 3/4 inch, we aren't allowed to do that any more, but since we are bodging....

If you have the a tool and capability then that is an excellent solution and totally acceptable UNLESS its for gas!

Of course you need a 3/4" flaring tool which may not be available any more. Or using your lathe you could turn down your 22 mm flaring tool!

Tony Glazier

Actually I just use my Rothenberger tube expanding machine to make the 3/4 22, but who likes a smartarse:cool:

Paul Barker said:
I use the tool that turns a 22mm pipe into a 3/4 s
ocket.
......................I`ve got one that squashes 22 to threquater :idea: But where are all the 3/4 sockets :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back