How to relight a Potterton 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I've been checking all the messages regarding the Potterton 80, but I still couldn't find the answer to my problem.

When we turn the boiler on, flame LED does not come on, though the gas and water still flows. We tried flicking the switch between constant and off, but to no avail.

Since the proerty is rented and I have not seen what the boiler should look like when new, the reset button is just a small black plastic jutting out. Is there supposed to be a knob there? We've tried pushing it in, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

If anyone could tell me a simnple procedure to try for lighting the gas, I'll be really grateful. Oh, and please don't quote manual page numbers as we didn't get our user manual with the flat.:(

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
That is what we did, but our landlady is lazy and told us to arrange it with British Gas and send the bill to her. However, British Gas can't send anyone till the middle of next week, which is why I was hoping someone could tell me what the standard procedure is for the Potterton 80 when the boiler doesn't light and I can have a hot shower for the first time in a week.

I took off the panel to look inside and I couldn't find anything switch etc. that might let me reignite the gas.

IF it's a model which has a permanent pilot, there will be two push buttons over on the LHS. One you can push in and turn, other plain (black I think). I believe instrs for lighting are on the inside of the flap down cover.
If not, turn the gas valve knob to the "ignition" position - picture of spark, then push in and hold.
Click away pushing the other knob until you see a pilot flame. Hold gv knob right in for 30 seconds, release slowly. Pilot should stay on, if not you may have to pause before retrying.
Then turn gv knob to flame position. Pilot should stay on and boiler should work.

Most Combi 80's didn't have a permanent pilot though! In which case make sure the power and gas are on.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice ChrisR, but I think you're right - it doesn't use a pilot light, instead using electrical current to light the boiler when needed.

The Main light is on and the gas pressure is fine, so perhaps there's something wrong with the ciruit board.

Now, I was planning on turning off the mains (not just the boiler switch, cutting off the power to the whole unit) and turning it back on again to see if that jolts anything back to life. Is that a bad idea?

Maybe the thermostat is turned off. Is there one on a wall somewhere set too low. Happened to me lately and I had half the house taken apart looking for a manual before I copped it..

Sounds to me like the air-pressure switch is at fault or even worse, the fan has ceased, either way you need to get a professional to look at it.

Why do so many people wait for British Gas when other companies can get there the same or the next day? Probably cheaper too!

Tony Glazier

Tony ..You make a good point why do people call BG. Well its probally because they can afford the nationwide adverts and the all singing all dancing tv adverts. I think a lot of people honestly belive they are getting the top dogs in, who know every single thing there is to know about boilers...Liers always get caught out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back