Another Bathroom Ceiling Thread....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had to strip the paper from my bathroom ceiling again, as it's started to peal off at the comb ceiling.

i think the main problem is that a previous owner painted the ceiling with a gloss type paint.

we sanded it and painted over with a matt paint for the paper to stick to better.
when i stripped it yeaterday, the matt paint was coming off as well & was also kinda wet feeling.

so, whats the best remedy to sort this (apart from replastering lol)

i have seen getting mentioned primer sealer, is this any good?

cheers

Sponsored Links
so, whats the best remedy to sort this (apart from replastering lol)
Your post doesn’t really give much room for manoeuvre on suggestions which maybe why you’ve received nothing from the Decs.

Paper & bathrooms really don’t go together at all I’m afraid, especially on the ceiling. Steamers are used to strip paper & the fact that your's has failed twice should give you a clue. The only way your going to stop steam affecting the paper is to totally seal it with an oil based paint & even then I think your asking something. No idea how bad your ceiling is which maybe why you want to paper it but re-skimming is probably the only option. An average sized bathroom shouldn’t cost much, £75 - £200 at the very most; but it depends how many times you want to re-do your ceiling. ;)

Your post doesn’t really give much room for manoeuvre on suggestions which maybe why you’ve received nothing from the Decs.

Paper & bathrooms really don’t go together at all I’m afraid, especially on the ceiling. Steamers are used to strip paper & the fact that your's has failed twice should give you a clue. The only way your going to stop steam affecting the paper is to totally seal it with an oil based paint & even then I think your asking something. No idea how bad your ceiling is which maybe why you want to paper it but re-skimming is probably the only option. An average sized bathroom shouldn’t cost much, £75 - £200 at the very most; but it depends how many times you want to re-do your ceiling. ;)
cheers for the reply.

i was half minded to try nitromorse on the ceiling lol

i'll maybe sugarsoap the ceiling and see about fulling & sanding it and give it a good few coats of matt paint to see what it's going to look like

Screamer,

I think your best option here would be to post a couplle of pics of the ceiling so we can see what we are dealing with, then we can try and ascertain what your problem is and provide you with a cure.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Screamer,

I think your best option here would be to post a couplle of pics of the ceiling so we can see what we are dealing with, then we can try and ascertain what your problem is and provide you with a cure.

Dec

this pic might not be the best.

but you'll see the yellow base colour, thats got a glossy face to it, we sanded it down to give it a rough surface for the matt paint to stick to

http://i43.tinypic.com/2prep0k.jpg

tell us more about the extractor fan that you use to remove steam from the bathroom before it can make bathroom ceiling damp.

tell us more about the extractor fan that you use to remove steam from the bathroom before it can make bathroom ceiling damp.
no extractor, we just leave the hopper window open all the time

this is more to do with what can i do to the original ceiling paint, for the new paint/wallpaper to stick to

yes, I know it is, but I have a feeling that the ceiling is getting damp from the steam, and that is the cause of your decorating problems.

It is very common for people to shut the window to keep the cold out while they are having a bath or shower, and if there is no fan, this will cause condensation.

How is the ceiling above insulated?

yes, I know it is, but I have a feeling that the ceiling is getting damp from the steam, and that is the cause of your decorating problems.

It is very common for people to shut the window to keep the cold out while they are having a bath or shower, and if there is no fan, this will cause condensation.

How is the ceiling above insulated?
there's glasswool above.

funnyily enough, i was sharing my room offshore with a painter, so i was asking him about it.

he thinks it's eggshell that on the ceiling, he's said to sand it down with rough sandpaer, then smoother paper, then give it a couple of coats of vinyl paint.

whats your thoughts?

I dont like wallpaper, never have, but even with that aside I really cannot see why someone would want to paper a bathroom ceiling.

Daniel

Eggshell is an oil paint, and fairly resistant to damp (better than emulsion). But wallpaper paste is water-based and will tend to soften and peel if it gets moist.

If you are sure the ceiling is well insulated, so it should be warm, it should not be getting damp unless there is a high humidity in the room (there is no chance the ceiling could be getting sprayed from ther shower, I supose?)

OP mate - take the advice given - abandon the idea of papering a bathroom ceiling! Its nuts! Get it painted properly like 99.99% of the population and you'll have much fewer problems!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back