pressure falling in combi- when to ask for help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I know questions get asked several times about pressure falling so sorry for repeating. I have tried to read through previous replies.

Basically for the last week the pressure in teh boiler has been falling to zero by it self. We can see no signs of a leak. We refill it to 1 each time we need a shower. I am not stupid and no this is not a sustainable situation... but most of the time when I get to work I forget about it.... such is the way of things.

I have just read how bad refilling is for corrosion so I know even more that this needs to be sorted out. Is there likely to be anything simple that I can do myself or should I call an expert first thing tomorrow after checking to see any responses.

Thanks to all... this is one of the things the internet is brilliant for.

Anne Marie

Sponsored Links
You will have to go round all your joints, more probably compression fittings on rads. Use coloured tissue paper which will show up better. :D

thank you very much.... we don't have the radiators on at this time of the year... could it still be them??

maybe I am displaying complete ignorance now!

AM

More likely you are losing pressure from a rad joint, check bleeding points are tight and also drain valves etc.
You only need a small leak which will result in pressure loss. I've just had the same problem on a rad which has suddenly decided to leak. :(

Sponsored Links
Have a look outside there should be a 15mm pipe coming from the boiler with a open end check to see if there is any wetness around it or on the floor also check this pipe with the boiler firing. If there is Suspect P.R.V

You have not told us what make and model of boiler you have!

Some of them have internal bits which can leak! However most of them need a CORGI registered person to deal with the problem!

Tony Glazier

hi... every evening I mean to look at the boiler to see what type it is and forget. Sorry! I'm having a Corgi engineer come to look at it this morning. Over the phone yesterday they suggested that it could be a large airlock. I bled all the radiators last night abd only water came out.

If I find out what it is I'll post here so that teh collective wisdom can be increased.

Thanks a lot,
Anne Marie

I would be worried at his competence of a boiler engineer who suggested "it could be a large airlock" !

Tony Glazier

Agile Services

http://www.heatforce.co.uk/

To be fair, it was only the person who answered the phone (at Heatforce- see above) who suggested it might be an airlock. I'm not sure if he is an engineer or not. But this is a large firm and I'm sure they are competent. If anyone knows that they aren't let me know and I'll cancel them coming at 1pm.

Thanks

AM

It looks good on their website.

But at the end of the day their performance depends on the capabilities of the engineer who comes to you.

Find out exactly what is the problem and tell us. I would try a guess that its the AAV leaking!

Tony

Let's just hope it isn't an Ideal Response boiler :(

Uhm... is that the onlone equivalent of the workman looking at your car/boiler/drains etc and puting his hand to his mouth and saying

"Uhm.... I don't like the look of that!" :)

Let's hope i don't have an ideal response boiler..... but I'm not going to panic myself by searching though the forum to find out why I should be scared of them.

Thanks again
AM

They leak internally - a terminal ailment in their case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back