Circulating pump will not stop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi Solo2 fully pumped system. I have just noticed that the circulating pump has started running continuously even when the water temperature has returned to normal. It only stops when the mains supply is isolated.
The overheat thermostat is "closed" and the thermostat sensor is "open ".
What is the likely cause please

Sponsored Links
Check the mfrs maintenance instructions - there may be an Overrun Thermostat which is designed to cool the boiler after it has turned off. They usually only run for a minute or so but they can stick "on".

Hi there,

I've got exactly the same problem on a Baxi Solo 2 PF40.

Found a number of threads in the forum on DIYnot, and quite a few suggested that the PCB had failed.

I've been lucky and have located the fault to the relay that supplies the pump. Here's the symptoms I found:

BE CAREFUL DURING YOUR INVESTIGATIONS BECAUSE THERE'S 240V AC ON THE CIRCUIT BOARD - ONLY INVESTIGATE IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING:

Symptoms: Pump stays on 24 hrs with central heating and hot water both turned off.

Opened up the front of the boiler, and confirmed that 240V AC supply to pump was live.

Removed power, and gained access to PCB. Located relay that serves the pump on the PCB (black cube nearest supply to pump). Found that power to the pump is Normally-On. This means that the PCB has to energise the relay to turn the power to the pump off.

Turned power back on, and VERY CAREFULLY checked the voltage on the coil side of the relay. Found 10.6V DC. This meant that the PCB was trying to turn the pump off, but couldn't because the relay must be sticking.

So, I'm about to look for a new relay! Feeling confident that it'll fix it, hence why I'm posting my (potentially premature) message up here.

Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

I've got exactly the same problem on a Baxi Solo 2 PF40.

Found a number of threads in the forum on DIYnot, and quite a few suggested that the PCB had failed.

I've been lucky and have located the fault to the relay that supplies the pump. Here's the symptoms I found:

BE CAREFUL DURING YOUR INVESTIGATIONS BECAUSE THERE'S 240V AC ON THE CIRCUIT BOARD - ONLY INVESTIGATE IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING:

Symptoms: Pump stays on 24 hrs with central heating and hot water both turned off.

Opened up the front of the boiler, and confirmed that 240V AC supply to pump was live.

Removed power, and gained access to PCB. Located relay that serves the pump on the PCB (black cube nearest supply to pump). Found that power to the pump is Normally-On. This means that the PCB has to energise the relay to turn the power to the pump off.

Turned power back on, and VERY CAREFULLY checked the voltage on the coil side of the relay. Found 10.6V DC. This meant that the PCB was trying to turn the pump off, but couldn't because the relay must be sticking.

So, I'm about to look for a new relay! Feeling confident that it'll fix it, hence why I'm posting my (potentially premature) message up here.

Good luck!

You are talking utter Bo$$ocks.
If the relay is energised, the fault is not the relay sticking.

Found that power to the pump is Normally-On. This means that the PCB has to energise the relay to turn the power to the pump off.

If the relay is energised, the fault is not the relay sticking.
It is a normally closed relay, which means that power has to be applied to open the relay. The contacts of the relay are probably welded together, so they do not open when the coil is energised.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back