Plug socket on light circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a plug socket in an understairs cupboard, where at present there is just a wall light. I don't need the wall light, is it possible to just wire a plug socket in instead? I realise that this would then be on the lighting rather than the plug circuit, is that necessarily a problem? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Some electriicians might put me right on this, but I think it is OK for 3A only, as long as you have a 3A FCU before the socket. Problem is that things with plugs on can be much higher current than anything your lighting circuit can provide, and you won't always be around when people are plugging something into it.

Depends on if the Luxembourgian (?) regs have anything against it too.....

Thanks for the reply; I need to use the plug socket for a washing machine so I guess it is a bad idea.

johnny_t said:
Some electriicians might put me right on this, but I think it is OK for 3A only, as long as you have a 3A FCU before the socket. Problem is that things with plugs on can be much higher current than anything your lighting circuit can provide, and you won't always be around when people are plugging something into it.

The only problem is some daft idiot may put a 13A fuse in there. The socket has to be of the round pin 'lighting socket' type also does it not?

Sponsored Links
NO NO NO NO NO :evil:

You can't run a washing machine from a lighting circuit.

(this was in UKelectrics when posted)

well you could but it wouldnt last long, the heating element typicaly draws 10A.

nstreet said:
johnny_t said:

The only problem is some daft idiot may put a 13A fuse in there. The socket has to be of the round pin 'lighting socket' type also does it not?
Wasn't sure if this was a requirement or just good practice. you're absolutely right though.....

theres no explicit requirements as to what sockets can be put on a lighting cuircuit.

the diversity guidenlines say you should allow at least half a sockets rating for a socket on a lighting cuircuit but it must be remembered that diversity guidelines are just that.

personally i have a couple of 13A sockets in my bedroom on the lighting cuircuit and i don't see it as a problem, they aren't in a place where they are likely to get casually used. They are just below ceiling height and require a stepladder to access one is used for a red light pointing upwards clipped to my bookshelves the other is currently unused it was used for a lava lamp but the water/wax tube doesn't work very well any more and i don't think i'm going to bother replacing the blown bulb in it now. maybe i'll put some other lamp in that location later.

johnny_t said:
Some electriicians might put me right on this, but I think it is OK for 3A only, as long as you have a 3A FCU before the socket.
Do you get FCUs in Luxembourg?

Do you know what size cable is used for lighting circuits in Luxembourg?

Do you know what rating the breakers are on lighting circuits in Luxembourg?

Do you even know if they have dedicated lighting circuits in Luxembourg?

divider.gif

nstreet said:
The only problem is some daft idiot may put a 13A fuse in there.
Do you know if FCUs, and 13A fuses are available in Luxembourg?

The socket has to be of the round pin 'lighting socket' type also does it not?
Do you know if round pin "lighting" sockets are used in Luxembourg?

divider.gif

Spark123 said:
NO NO NO NO NO :evil:

You can't run a washing machine from a lighting circuit.
Do you know what size cable is used for lighting circuits in Luxembourg?

Do you know what rating the breakers are on lighting circuits in Luxembourg?

Do you even know if they have dedicated lighting circuits in Luxembourg?

divider.gif

johnny_t said:
Wasn't sure if this was a requirement or just good practice. you're absolutely right though.....
Do you know if it is either in Luxembourg?

divider.gif

plugwash said:
theres no explicit requirements as to what sockets can be put on a lighting cuircuit.
Do you know if there are or are not any requirements in the regulations that apply in Luxembourg?

the diversity guidenlines say you should allow at least half a sockets rating for a socket on a lighting cuircuit but it must be remembered that diversity guidelines are just that.
Do you know if these diversity guidelines are accepted in Luxembourg?

More to the point, why does roger3007 keep posting in ukelectrics forum?

Because my questions are all hypothetical, in fact you are helping me with my physics GCSE assignments...

Not really. Actually the reason I post on the UK site is that none of my questions relate specifically to the Luxembourgish system, rather they are more general questions. I'm not so much interested in what the Luxembourg regulations are, rather in whether I am likely to burn my house down or electrocute myself.

And I appreciate all the help I get from this forum...thanks!

you have to be very carefull with mixing different countries methods. while the laws of physics don't vary between countries things like standard cable types installation methods color codes accessory design etc do. what may well be a safe assumption to make when helping someone with a uk system may not be safe on a foriegn system.

btw in the uk i belive BC lampholders are allowed to be on a 16A cuircuit so you could have a cuircuit that could power a washer and a light and be withing the rules without any extra fusing for the light but it would not be a normal lighting cuircuit.

ban-all-sheds said:
Do you get FCUs in Luxembourg? [etc etc etc]

What'ya trying to say, ban? :D

That's one of the funniest things I've seen around here for a while, probably to be mentioned in the future "Remember ban's Luxembourg rant?"

;)

roger3007 said:
Actually the reason I post on the UK site is that none of my questions relate specifically to the Luxembourgish system, rather they are more general questions. I'm not so much interested in what the Luxembourg regulations are, rather in whether I am likely to burn my house down or electrocute myself.
Unless you've personally rewired your Luxembourg property to UK customs, in which case you would know the answer to the question you're asking, then regulations be b****red - the "Luxembourgish system" is utterly relevant.

If Luxembourg follows the common European method of wiring, then all of the "advice" you've been given above is complete bo****ks, I'm afraid.

Pick up the Luxembourg Säiten Giel, and phone an elektriker.

Not being funny, but the nonsense above shows how you cannot seek advice on practical wiring matters from people who do not understand the way your country's wiring systems hang together.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ninebob said:
ban-all-sheds said:
Do you get FCUs in Luxembourg? [etc etc etc]

What'ya trying to say, ban? :D
I'm sure you can work that out once the laughter has subsided....

Sponsored Links
Back