New Soffits and Facias. What should I be getting quoted for?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have had a few quotes for having the soffits and fascias done on my 1960's mid terrace house.

The quotes vary quite a lot with some contractors quoting for removing the fist layer of roof tiles and installing new damp proof course and others quoting for just installing cavity drip trays and bird combing.

What should I be getting quoted for? What is the correct procedure for installing new upvc soffits and fascias??

Thanks

Graham

Sponsored Links
The firms may be quoting for the same thing but using different terms

There will normally be some work required to the felt. So either the first layer of felt is renewed, or just some plastic eaves trays are fitted - these project into the gutter to allow rain to drain from the roof. The bird combs are needed for profile tiles to fil in the gaps at the eaves - not required for flat tiles

Don't let anyone just fit some normal DPC into the gutter - it flaps about and will annoy you all night long

Hello Graham
I am having mine done right now. I am getting eave protectors put in but no bird combs as I have flat tiles. Sometimes the gutters break when they are being taken off and some tiles may also be broken in the process. There is of course scaffolding to think of as well. There is also a big price difference if you want anything other than white soffits/fascias. I'm also looking into getting the Hedgehog Gutter Guard Leaf Filter fitted while they are at it.
Cheers
Dave

Sponsored Links
Hello Graham
I am having mine done right now. I am getting eave protectors put in but no bird combs as I have flat tiles. Sometimes the gutters break when they are being taken off and some tiles may also be broken in the process. There is of course scaffolding to think of as well. There is also a big price difference if you want anything other than white soffits/fascias. I'm also looking into getting the Hedgehog Gutter Guard Leaf Filter fitted while they are at it.
Cheers
Dave

Hi,

I'm in the trade & wouldn't use the hedgehog gutter guard. It does not work due to getting clogged with leaves (No chance of blowing away sun trapped!.. this then builds up quickly). Rainwater then flows over the top of the leaves & not into the gutter. Regular maintainence then becomes an issue too.. Time = £'s.. & working on guttering off ladders is not the best either!

Anyway, this is my first post!.. & I thought I'd share my experience with installing & maintaining them!

Justin

Yes these hedgehog and the other mesh type products are being mis-sold.

If there are lots of leaves they just go soggy and build up on top of it and makes the problem much worse

Hi,

I have had a few quotes for having the soffits and fascias done on my 1960's mid terrace house.

The quotes vary quite a lot with some contractors quoting for removing the fist layer of roof tiles and installing new damp proof course and others quoting for just installing cavity drip trays and bird combing.

What should I be getting quoted for? What is the correct procedure for installing new upvc soffits and fascias??

Thanks

Graham

Hi,

I can advise you if you contact me directly!?

Justin

Hi,

Thanks

Graham

Hi,

Justin

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your offer of advise. I'm new to the forum also and I haven't figured out how to Private Message yet.

re. the hedge hogs, I was just going by the reviews on amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

But these could be written by someone who has an interest in the company I suppose.

What is the best solution in your opinions ? One side of my house has a garage running down the side of it with a tin roof. Not suitable for putting ladders on and I don't want to shell out for scaffold everytime the gutters need cleaning. Thanks

Hi,

Thanks

Hello!

My email address is [email protected]

You are welcome to send me an email... or to work out how to msg me directly from here (sorry, I'm new here & I do not yet know how to use all the tools etc on this forum)

Regards

Justin

Graham

Hi,

Justin

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your offer of advise. I'm new to the forum also and I haven't figured out how to Private Message yet.

Hi,

Thanks

Graham

(SORRY, I may have already posted this incorectly just a moment ago!)

Hello!

My email address is [email protected]

You are welcome to send me an email... or to work out how to msg me directly from here (sorry, I'm new here & I do not yet know how to use all the tools etc on this forum)

Regards

Justin

Hi,

Justin

Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of a forum?

I don't think so!?.. What makes you think that??

I think any info from someone in the relevant trade, (whom is not looking to gain the work & simply offer impartial advice) is better than no advice at all.

.. So I think this forum has achieved it's goal by bringing us together!?.. regardless of the final part of the conversation taking place away from here.

Thank you

Justin

No, the purpose of a forum is for someone to get as much information as possible from as many people as possible, and for topics to be discussed.

The upshot is that when the information is posted publicly (as opposed to privately via PM) then anyone with a similar question will be able to see the answer

Not specifically related to your offer, but if the OP PM's you how will he know that your advice is correct? At least on an open forum others can agree or disagree with any advice and opinion posted

re. the hedge hogs, I was just going by the reviews on amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

But these could be written by someone who has an interest in the company I suppose.

What is the best solution in your opinions ? One side of my house has a garage running down the side of it with a tin roof. Not suitable for putting ladders on and I don't want to shell out for scaffold everytime the gutters need cleaning. Thanks

Hello,

Re hedge hogs..

What are you looking to achieve by putting them in?

Gutters are most effective when they're clear.. So by putting things in them you are only encouraging blockages & overflows.

Obviously I can see the advantage of having works done at the same time.. but sometimes you will be sold or encouraged buy additional products to warrant the £'s you are being charged.

Also, eaves protectors / eaves trims.. & all things similar (which can be difficult to identify in a quote due to the wordings etc) are NOT always necessary. (only if tiling felts / eaves protectors / eaves trims are damaged / missing etc - You basically don't need them just because you're having fascia & soffit work done).

I hope this helps?

Again, msg me directly if you wish to be more specific to your particular circumstances.

Thanks

Justin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back