Hole in wall - do I need a Lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, My first post here, spo looking for a bit of advice please.

I want to cut a hole in a supporting wall in my flat to build in a wall safe.

The wall is approx 500mm thick solid brick / masonry and Id like to cut a recess in the wall thats about 400mm wide and goes 400mm into the wall ie not all the way through.

Its then my intention to cement a wall safe into the recess.

Do I need a lintel above the opening or is 400mm not wide enough to require one, given that my hole wont go all the way through anyway?

Sponsored Links
Well, yes, thats what Id like to do.

Im just a bit worried about the wall for the time that Im cutting the hole, before I install the safe.

Hi, My first post here, spo looking for a bit of advice please.

I want to cut a hole in a supporting wall in my flat to build in a wall safe.

The wall is approx 500mm thick solid brick / masonry and Id like to cut a recess in the wall thats about 400mm wide and goes 400mm into the wall ie not all the way through.

Its then my intention to cement a wall safe into the recess.

Do I need a lintel above the opening or is 400mm not wide enough to require one, given that my hole wont go all the way through anyway?

I would for the sake of the bit of extra price and a bit extra work...in future you may remove the safe for whatever reason but this wall will still be supported

Sponsored Links
When fitting gas/elec flush boxes to external walls no lintel is used unless they are alongside each other, they are approx 4-500mm wide. When u say the wall is approx 500mm thick what is its construction, is there a cavity?
If its solid brick you will find it hard to get lintels in that deep too, would need 4 100mm lintels alongside each other.

Ah thats interesting, thanks.

Its an old house so Im guessing that it will be double skinned brick with rubble filling (its not an external wall).

Ill have to drill a hole or 2 and see.

If that's the case if will be a messy job, I have done similar before and found that u end up with a constant barrage of rubble/mortar. Letting this fall in might result in a big void above. You could stitch drill it and try and insert thread bars horizontally above where you will have your safe to try and hold all the rubble when you then take your opening out for the safe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back