Dummy Burglar Alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone got any tips when looking to buy one of those Dummy Burglar Alarm boxes. Is it better to get blank ones, or with some company name on ?? Flashing lights or not ??

Any burgalrs care to tell us what they'd look out for ??

Sponsored Links
Go and have a look at some real burglar alarms to see what they have on them. I don't think real ones have flashing lights, so I would just get one with a company name on.[/i]

My first dummy box, was one that I made & I wired it up with a neon on all the time. My second one I was lucky got a throw out from a pucker company.

They must have looked ok, never got burgled, Im touchin wood with fingers crossed now though.

johnny_t said:
Anyone got any tips when looking to buy one of those Dummy Burglar Alarm boxes. Is it better to get blank ones, or with some company name on ?? Flashing lights or not ??

Any burgalrs care to tell us what they'd look out for ??

Phone up one of the major suppliers (real alarms, not dummies that is) and say your box cover has been damaged and can you purchase a new cover.

Sponsored Links
MetallicHedgehog said:
I don't think real ones have flashing lights
Mine does.

Why not just buy an authentic siren housing. Then if and when you feel like it, you could buy the rest of the kit to make it into a real alarm system.

its not so much the box (lights / no lights, name / no name) its more to do with where you put it, for example on a chimney stack is not rally where an alrm company would put one, you also have to remeber that lots of alrm engineers do jobs for cash, so they dont use labled ones either.

i would suggest though that you get a real kit and install it yourself, they are no that expensive, just dont get a radio one

best I believe is to get an ADT box off ebay and then stick in some flashing lights

click me something like this is good though

edited to correct link

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I did think of that, but was unsure about giving my address out to someone unknown to post my dummy alarm box to, or am I just being paranoid ??

people wo sell dummy bell boxes are only doing it for the money.

I wouldn't buy a dummy one with flashing lights, you then have the hassle of changing the batteries

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back