Whirlpool hob cable rating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed the above electric hob at home and the power rating is 5.5kw. The spec on the instructions advises using 3 x 2.5 mm2 conductors. As this cable size is a standard ring main cable size can I make a lead and plug using 2.5 mm2 and plug the hob into the ring?

Sponsored Links
No, you shouldn't plug it into the ring. The hob should be fed from its own circuit from the CU.
Also, are you aware this is part p notifiable?

6mm cable then I assume. I need to supply enough for the hob and a single electric oven. So 6mm cable and a 40 amp breaker? Plus an isolator.

Sponsored Links
6mm cable, 32amp MCB in board, Cooker control point (not behind cooker but to one side), and Cooker conection point.

Can I control both hob and cooker with the one isolator switch? Is the one 6mm cable and 32amp mcb heavy enough to cope with both hob and cooker? cooker about 3.5kw and hob 5.5kw, 9kw in total. I have a spare 40amp mcb in the board already.

Paul D said:
Can I control both hob and cooker with the one isolator switch? Is the one 6mm cable and 32amp mcb heavy enough to cope with both hob and cooker? cooker about 3.5kw and hob 5.5kw, 9kw in total. I have a spare 40amp mcb in the board already.

Yes, its one way of doing it, use the 40A MCB and 10mm² cable for this.

You could have the cooker and hob on seperate circuits, 20A MCB fed with 4.0mm² for the cooker with a 20A switch next to the cooker, and the 32A arrangement mentioned above for the hob.

The instructions assume you are wiring the cooker as 3 phase - 3 separate phases of <10a each would be fine on 2.5mm, and is the common way in W germany and parts of france.. However, from a single phase supply, as others have noted, all the elements could be in parallel at onjce, and a supply rated at least 30A, 4mm, or better 40A 6mm is appropriate UK practice.

Paul D said:
The spec on the instructions advises using 3 x 2.5 mm2 conductors.
I'll bet the instructions also say "if in doubt consult a qualified electrician"

can I make a lead and plug using 2.5 mm2 and plug the hob into the ring?
What do you think would happen if you did?

Also, are you aware this is part p notifiable?

ban-all-sheds said:
What do you think would happen if you did?
well i heared of someone successfully running an electric shower (9KW iirc) off a 13A plug ;)

In theory, nothing wrong in using 4 for the hob and 2.5 for cooker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back