Drill into concrete without SDS?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

I have an 18V DeWalt hammer drill and need to drill a few 7mm holes into the concrete wall between my flat and the next.

I know I need an SDS but I can't afford to buy one for this one project. Is it going to be possible to drill with the DeWalt or should I get a man in? Any tips on how to go about it? Start small and work up?

Thanks!
Chris

Sponsored Links
If it's only a few holes then your cordless should be fine. I've got a 14.4 volt dewalt with hammer and whilist I don't use it opn hammer very often I have in the past done just what you are thinking of. Make sure you have decent sharp bits.
Are you sure it's concrete?

Thanks ladylola! It's the wall which separates my flat from the next so it could be anything, I'm just assuming concrete, possibly reinforced, but it's definitely masonry of some description.

The electrician had a big SDS and went through it like butter, but that was a while ago and I need to do this one myself.

I wonder what we used before SDS drills were invented?

Oh yes - hammer drills :D

Go for it, only it wont be like butter - just take longer.

Sponsored Links

And if the hammer drill wouldn't touch it, it was out with the trusty rawl drill.

And if the hammer drill wouldn't touch it, it was out with the trusty rawl drill.

still got a couple of them in the back of the workshop somewhere. I suppose you are talking about the ones used with a lump hammer although I can recall when I first started work the old plumber had a sort of chest drill arrangement that was for drilling masonary.

Haha, good point. When you say "just take longer", if it isn't working how long should I stand there with the drill spinning in the whole before I call it a day?

. When you say "just take longer", if it isn't working how long should I stand there with the drill spinning in the whole before I call it a day?

You will notice the drill bit disappearing into the wall albeit a tad slower than a SDS drill bit would do.If it isn't moving into the wall then it could be time to stop as it's possible to be just heating the drill bit up to no purpose. I probably like most everybody else has in their youth have drilled and drilled away at a hole only to pull the bit out to see it glowing white hot on the end :oops:

Thanks for the help, guys. I managed to get the holes drilled - using a 4mm starter hole then the 7mm seemed to work well.

I got three holes out of six fully drilled, reasonably easily, but three only went about 20mm before they gave up. Have I hit stone?!

Should be doable with a nice new sharp good quality drill bits I like the DeWalt range and also the Bosch multi construction bits too.

When will people grasp that masonry bits are not sharp?

That's true, it's the hammer action which creates the hole. I guess people are referring to the hardened end on masonry bits which can wear down. I'm assuming that's how it works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back