Kitchen unit wood finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

I am in need of some help please. I am building my own bespoke kitchen units. but i am troubled about what finish to give them. Do i use a Varnish or Wax/oil?
The wife has said that as long as she can just wipe them over with a damp cloth she is happy.

any help and info would be great, as i don't want to f**k them up after all my hard work.

all the best Martin

Sponsored Links
What material are you using? or is it a secret?

Hi

the units are made with T&G chipboard 8x2 flooring with a 6mm finishing ply to th faces. its the ply that i need to protect with ever a varnish or HWO. the way i have done them is so they look like solid wood 30mm thick and they are very strong.

10 years ago I built my own kitchen using maple-veneered MDF lipped with solid maple for the cupboard sides, and solid maple frames with veneered panels for the doors. I used three coats of danish oil, allowed to dry for a week, and then waxed everything with Briwax applied with very fine wire wool. This gave a lovely soft sheen, like an old French polish, but is very durable which has lasted beautifully ever since. When I have the inclination every few years I give it a buff up again with wax.

Sponsored Links
I made mine with oak veneered ply and oak veneered the edges with iron on veneer. The finish was "Lord Sheratons Wood Balsam" available from most supermarkets. 2 coats to start with then once a month for 6 months. Now its done with spray wax furniture polish when the wife does the dusting. But whatever you decide try it on a spare piece or an inconspicuous part of a cabinet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back