Tiled worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

I am going to fit a tiled worktop in the kitchen. I will be using 9mm matt floor tiles. i have on order Mapei Primer G, Keraquick Flexi and Kerapoxy Grout.
what my question is, can i use 18mm T&G green chipboard flooring?. I have already fitted the chipboard. 2 layer (36mm) glued and screw at 150mm apart. Or should i fit a 6mm ply on top and glue and screw that down, then tile on to that. The reason i am asking is i have read that green chipboard should not be used on floors to tile on. But want to know if i can get away with it on a worktop as it won't be taking the weight and use a floor does.

all the best Martin

Sponsored Links
not for my money - nothing sticks to it, and you also have to remember if it gets wet it will fall to bits (even if its green!).

If you already stuck with the chip i think you'll be best off fitting a backer board onto it rather than ply. 6mm ply wont really make any difference.

Chipboard is crap at the best of times even if only being used for a worktop. As TTP, green is even worse as it contains silicone additive & tile adhesion will be a problem. Chip will also disintegrate (even the green MR variety) if exposed to water & waterproof adhesive & grout is only waterproof to the extent it won’t disintegrate when wet, it will still absorb water which is why a waterproof tile base is essential if its going to be exposed to water. WBP ply or even backer board would be better.

But why go for a tiled kitchen worktop, have you considered the health hazard it will pose? Grouted tiles on a food preparation worktop is not a hygienic solution & absorbent natural stone tiles will multiply the risk 10x. Real or composite stone is far better but if budget is tight, a conventional rolled top would be a far better bet to minimise culturing unhealthy bacteria which could well lead to food poisoning before too long!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back