Trickle vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just had delivered an order of 8 windows, a patio door and front door.

But I can't see any trickle vents?

The company is reputable and uses good quality saint gobain planitherm glass and profile 22 extrusions.. All rated "A" and they are also a fensa registered company and known to local building control.

I have also submitted a building notice and paid the fee. So will all be done properly.

Expanding foam to be used around each window and door to stop drafts and create a thermal break as well as using cavity closers.

But should I be worried about the lack of trickle vents? My research indicates this requirement is only if existing windows have them.. Or if it's a new build or extension.

This isn't either of those it's just a replacement window replacing wooden windows with no vent.

I am assuming if required the company who manufactured them would of put them in.. They have automatically specified toughened glass which is marked where required. So they know where these things are required to keep to the rules.. Just querying if they have messed up with these trickle vents before I install them, as if I need them I could properly have them sent back to have the vents installed. Or shall I just fit anyway?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
They don't just guess whats what, they don't know which windows need toughened glass, they don't know which window is the bathroom, they won't know what pattern you've chosen, same goes for add-ons, cills, handle colour etc etc, they need to be told, check what your survey form says, if you didn't ask for trickle vents then they won't put them in.

Hi they did know where to put toughened glass as they automatically specified the toughened glass without my request.. Also when we submitted the drawings with measurements so they knew where the openings should be everything was labelled up as to which room it was for.

I was just saying if it was a requirement to have them surely the trickle vents should of been automatically put in.

Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining I prefer without them.. Just more concerned if they are required then building control won't sign it off

Trickles can be retro fitted anyway so don't worry yourself too much.

But going back to your last post you say...'we submitted the drawings with measurements so they knew where the openings should be everything was labelled up as to which room it was for'

Thats precisely what i meant, its your job to tell them whats what, openers, handle colour etc etc but i do wonder how they know which windows need toughened glass without you telling them, thats a new one on me! :confused:

They also don't know if its new build or like for like so can't make the call for you on the trickle vents, you need to tell them

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for the replies,

We initially submitted drawings showing the openers and sizes and labelled which room went where.

Only thing we didn't specify was the toughened glass but they seemed to automatically give that to us, all has the mark on.

They specified it on the patio door and large porch and front window.. As they go down to floor level..so I assumed because of the large size panes of glass they automatically specified the toughened glass.

Didn't specify the outer sills, or handles so they just gave us presumably what they fit as standard.

True about not knowing if it was replacements or new build, so I can't answer that one lol, was just worried because we are going down proper route of building control signing it off and because there is no vents I didn't want them saying they need to have them and thought it would be easier to send the frames back for fitting in the factory than try to retrofit in situ.

Thanks for advice so far.

the drawings you submitted, did they show or mention trickle vents anywhere?

Did you get an order acknowledgement from them prior to manufacture?

If the company was supplying and fitting the windows, it's their responsibility to ask you. If they are only supplying, it's your responsibilty to specify what you want.

I know it's our responsibility to specify but I'd also assume that if required by building control under all circumstances it would be fitted anyway.. As there wouldn't be a situation where it is not required.

So because they haven't fitted it there must be cases where it does become an optional thing

for all the company knows you could have a passive venting system and don't want vents in the windows. BTW vents will soon be outlawed anyway from 2016 in new builds

Hi, lol true, well I prefer without them anyway :)

My point of view is why have legislation that worries about energy ratings and drafts, only to stick a vent in that creates a big draft.

Was just worried about problems with building control.

In my experience, different local authorities apply different criteria, for example, my LA are quite happy to use the night vent position of the opener as background ventilation, whereas just over the border in Chester, i've had some ar**y BC inspectors who specced (ugly) trickle vents on all windows and French pairs :rolleyes:
BTW why did you use Building control when your installer has FENSA?

Well hope they aren't like that here.. From what I've read due to pressure from the glass and glazing federation they dropped the requirement of trickle vents on replacement windows and it was just new builds and extensions that required it.

Using building control because Fensa will only sign off their work if they install for us. But if you install yourself then fensa doesn't cover it.

Just so happens the company is a manufacturer and installer

Np, thanks

If they require it I guess we could always remove the openings and send em back to the manufacturer for the trickle vents to be fitted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back