TV Coaxial Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going off my head with this problem. I am trying to install a new digital freeview aerial on the roof. before there was 4 cables going to 2 aerials i bought connectors and joined the 4 cables into one to lead to the new ariel. However as ever with life something is wrong there is no signal at all i thought this was very strange and double checked all connections and tried again still no joy so i run a new cable to test straight from ariel to tv 5m away but nothing so now i am assuming it is the ariel because i can get basic channels with old one but none with new digital ariel. it is a Televise digital aerial but i cannot see how it doesnt work i have checked continuity thru the input point and everything appears fine but still nothing but snow on the TV. can someone shed any light on this or point me to a site where i can find detailed information on wiring coaxial circuits because im not inexperienced when it comes to household electrical systems but this has me stumped.

any help greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
no it is a digilogic set top box but with a signal booster and the old aerial i can get itv2 and bbc3 but with the new aerial + booster there is nothing

This isn't meant as a rude question - its just that I don't know anything about you - but the new aerial is pointing in the same direction as the old one, isn't it ?

Can you receive the analogue stations (BBC1, 2, ITV1, C4, 5) without the digibox ?

Sponsored Links
yes it is pointing in the same direction and with the old aerial i can get 1,2,3,4 but with the new one there is nothing suggesting to me it is broken but i cant understand how an aerial can break.... it has no mechanical parts...

Have you tuned the tv into the digibox? This shouldn't be necessary if you use a scart cable.

Does sound a bit mysterious. Two more basic questions - Is the dipole definitely connected at both ends, and is the reflector definitely fitted ?

Have you checked the coax is actually connected to the new antenna, (removed the cover & looked)

i use the scart connection so it should autotune but even if this does not happen i should still be able to get terrestrial. the aerial was fitted up as per the basic instructions that came with it reflector is installed correctly. the aerial connection itself is a bit strange it is a 1 point connection through a PCB board housed within a clipon plastic box.

For the moment I'd ignore the freeview side of things and concentrate on getting your TV to show an analogue channel using the new channel.

When you have split the signal 4-ways, how have you done it ? Bear in mind that splitting 4-ways will only give you a quarter of the power down each wire - This may possibly be below the threshold necessary to get decent digital, but the fact you get no analogue suggests something more fundamental.

Where did you test the continuity between ?

In addition to the inner wire connection to the aerial, was their some provision to connect the braid of the co-ax ?

no there wasnt i noticed this was a bit strange as in the old one there was 2 points of connection and the way they were wired was solid core to one connection and rolled braid to the other but with this new aerial there is only provision for the core connection

I'm not an aerial expert, but it sounds to me like that's at the heart of your problem (Your signal power has to exist between the RF connection and something else, the something else being earth). There wasn't a metal clip that held the cable in place was there ? Perhaps you were meant to fold the braid back and secure it under this.

johnny_t
Perhaps you were meant to fold the braid back and secure it under this.
Thats what I was suggesting, when I said check that its connected. You may have said it better, lets see.

ah yeah there was a metal clip that held the wire i will try wrapping the braid under this to see if anything happens and let you know.

Many thanks to all that offered me advice especially Diyisfun & Johnny_t thanks to whom i am now enjoying every channel freeview has to offer..... this board is a great resource for the amateur DIYer.

Thanks again..

Stew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back