Fixing a 75mm fence post to a brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fix a couple of 75mm x 75mm fence posts to a brick wall. I've read some recommendations for thunderbolts. What length of bolt would I need to get a good strong fix?

I've also seen hex head bolts in screwfix - would they also do the job?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I know that these bolts are good, we use this type all the time for floor fixing.
I've never used them through wood though, but I can't see why there would be a problem.

I would have said try and get at least 50mm into the wall, but you can achieve that with the 120mm bolts if you countersink the hole slightly ( drill out the size of the head) and that will hide the head too.

Why Thunderbolts ? Can you not remove the posts after drilling? I would tend to use a plug into the wall for this application, but if you have to laeve the post in place then use the thunderbolts, I'm definitely not a fan of frame fixings for this type of installation, they tend to come loose.

I assume that you are fixing the posts all the way up their length?

I know that these bolts are good, we use this type all the time for floor fixing.
I've never used them through wood though, but I can't see why there would be a problem.

I would have said try and get at least 50mm into the wall, but you can achieve that with the 120mm bolts if you countersink the hole slightly ( drill out the size of the head) and that will hide the head too.

Why Thunderbolts ? Can you not remove the posts after drilling? I would tend to use a plug into the wall for this application, but if you have to laeve the post in place then use the thunderbolts, I'm definitely not a fan of frame fixings for this type of installation, they tend to come loose.

I assume that you are fixing the posts all the way up their length?

Only reason I was thinking Thunderbolts was I'd read a few people recommend them.

I can remove the post after drilling - would you use something like this to do the job:

http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/frame-fixings/cat840068

It's a 3ft fence so the post won't be particularly long - I was thinking of fixing it at 3 points along its length.

No, They're what I wouldn't use.
They come loose when used on fence posts in my experience anyway.

I'd just use a normal wall fixing plug and contersink the hole about 25-30mm into the post, so that a 100mm scew would do. I like the rawlplug UNO ones, I find them superb in most applications.

But by all means use the thunderbolts, I just wondered why.

Good Luck :D :D :D :D

well, when i used them it was just because the bloke at the fencing supplies place recommended them :) but they did work really well for my needs

can you get to the other side of the wall?

makes it much easier to get a really strong fixing, using studding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back