Horizontal wallpaper around chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife want the wallpaper horizontal.
Im putting up lining paper at the minute and around the doors is proving time consuming due to plinth blocks and just a small gap to adjacent wall which also has protruding trunking. Anyways ive done it, but wondering if horizontal will be easier as I will only have to cut to the arc and fit small pieces to the small gap rather than having a heavy piece dangle down whilst trying to cut into the the whole arc and gap in one piece.
Main question is around chimney. Is this all one piece or do you cut to front of breast taking it inch or so around, another for the side matching the pattern and taking around internal corner then I final run for the remaining length. (all level of course)
[/i]

Sponsored Links
When you say your wife wants the wallpaper horizontal, do you mean the lining paper (to be painted/papered on top of), or do you mean a patterned top paper?

Sponsored Links
Personally, I would try to take the paper all the way around the chimney breast and just join it at the internal corners. If the external corners of the breast are well out of plumb, you may well need to splice a join on the side walls but this could have the effect of a kick in the stripe and there will be a lot of pieces to join.

One thing to consider when hanging striped paper horizontally is that any undulations in the wall will be exaggerated by the stripes running over them far more than when the paper is hung vertically (especially when looking along the wall).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back