Grout tiles before applying silicone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just finished my bathroom after a previous leak. I have now tiled but am wondering whether I should grout before putting silicone in the small gap (about 4mm) where the tiles meet the bath or the other way around? I am looking for the best seal to avoid water problems.

Thanks in advance

Garry

Sponsored Links
Grout the tiles but leave the gap between the bath and tiles. Wait until the grout has been finished and cleaned off, then fill the bath with water and silicone.

Job Done!

Andy

4mm is really too wide a gap, 2mm is all you need & if it’s possible to jack the bath up, I would advise you do so to reduce it. At 4mm, your asking a lot even for a quality silicone sealer around a bath; the seal will also be quiet large & it won’t look so good either. If you can’t reduce the gap, use a quality low modulus neutral cure silicone to give better odds of it surviving but you probably won’t get it at any DIY shed, they usually only stock, much cheaper high modulus, acetoxy cure - smells of vinegar.

As Andy, grout first, thoroughly clean the bath/tile surfaces with an alcohol based spirit & fill the bath as high as possible before applying silicone. I silicone in two stages; first run a good bead between the underside of the tile & the top of the bath using an uncut nozzle forcing silicone into the gap (I allow 2mm). Clean off any excess, cut the nozzle to the required bead size & immediately run a second silicone bead between the front face of the tile & the bath. Pull/angle the gun away from the bead, don’t push it into it; finish off with a wet finger (not spit). Leave the bath full overnight to give the silicone a chance to fully cure.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your replies. This is a great help.

The gap is probably only about 2mm (small tile spacer size) after I checked.

Looks like a busy weekend ahead.

Thanks again

Garry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back