radiators get very hot and then stay luke warm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just recently installed a combi. and when i first turn the heating on the radiators get very hot (you cant touch them) but after a while they cool down and just sit at a luke warm temperature. The stat is calling for heat and the heating is switched on. I connected my combi to old system piped in 8mm micro bore using manifolds to connect to each radiator. Please HELP.

Sponsored Links
Do you have thermostatic Radiator Valves? If so, these will shut down the flow once the room is warm.

Are you sure rads get hot when you switch the heating on? Or was this just the first time when you were venting air from the rads?

Sponsored Links
What boiler is it?
Did you powerflush the system first?
What output level have you set the CH to?
You should have fitted TRV's (by law).
What initial delta T do you get when CH starts?
Ditto for HW?
Does HW suppy correct volume and delta T?
Have you balanced the radiators?

chrishutt said:
Are you sure rads get hot when you switch the heating on? Or was this just the first time when you were venting air from the rads?

Yes. The rads get hot very quickly every time i turn the heating on.
But then cool down after a while and just sit at luke warm. If i turn the heating off and leave it for a bit and turn it back on again the rads get red hot again but then cool down.

ChrisR said:
What boiler is it?
Did you powerflush the system first?
What output level have you set the CH to?
You should have fitted TRV's (by law).
What initial delta T do you get when CH starts?
Ditto for HW?
Does HW suppy correct volume and delta T?
Have you balanced the radiators?

Boiler Ravenheat White Star 29T
Flushed system out first
CH is set to winter mode about 3/4
Oops (I did'nt know)
What the hell dose this mean
Ditto
Ditto
Have not touched rad valves so will it not still be balanced from old system.

If you haven't touched the rad valves then you haven't flushed the system - expect the boiler to clog up quite soon.

The other answers show you don't know enough about boilers to be fitting them, whether you're corgi regd or not, which I don't suppose you are.

I suggest you call Ravenheat to bale you out; their marketing policy encourages diy'ers to break the law, maybe they'll think again when one gets killed.

Ravenheat White Star 29T
This is the B&Q version of the Little Star - definitely not my favourite boiler.

Sounds like you need the system professionally commissioned. This will establish that everything is set up properly and identify any faults. It could be a boiler fault, since the radiators all heat up properly initially, but then cool. Or it might be a wiring fault - you say the room stat is still calling for heat, but the boiler control may be different to what you replaced.

chrishutt said:
Ravenheat White Star 29T
This is the B&Q version of the Little Star - definitely not my favourite boiler.

Sounds like you need the system professionally commissioned. This will establish that everything is set up properly and identify any faults. It could be a boiler fault, since the radiators all heat up properly initially, but then cool. Or it might be a wiring fault - you say the room stat is still calling for heat, but the boiler control may be different to what you replaced.

Thanks for your help! Will get someone to come and commision it for me and have a look.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back