Choice of 2 drills

gbu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old Bosch has given up the ghost and so im looking to replace it.

Although it was a 'Green' Bosch it served well with great power it was a PSB 14.4v V-i

Anyway ive seen 2 drills that i like but cant quite decide which i should get.

It wont be used all the time but when i do i need some power.

Now ive seen a Dewalt drill for £80 with better spec and a lower price BUT its only got 2 x 1.3Ah Ni-Cd Batteries
Heres is the spec:-
Voltage 18 V
Battery Capacity NiCd 1.3 Ah
Chuck Capacity 1.5-13 mm
Power Output 400 Watts
No Load Speed 0-500 / 0-1700 rpm
Beats per Minute 0-8500/ 0-29000 bpm
Couple maximal 44 Nm

Now the 2nd one is a Bosch(blue) for more then double the price £180 BUT it has 2x3.0AH Li-Ion batteries.
heres the spec
Torque, max. 45 Nm
Torque, max. 19 Nm
No-load speed (1st gear / 2nd gear) 0 – 400 / 1.400 rpm
Max. impact rate 21.000 rpm
Battery voltage 18 V
Torque settings 15+1

Now i know the batteries will be a big factor but if you take those outa the equation the cheaper Dewalt has a better Impact Rate and Load Speed.

so is the extra money going on batteries alone with a slightly lower spec drill or am i reading this all wrong?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
You're probably right. Lithium-ion technology costs a lot more to manufacture than Nickel cadmium, but there are trade-offs. For a start NiCd batteries contain toxins and are difficult to recycle. Secondly 3.0Ah batteries have a far greater run time than 1.3Ah ones - 3 to 4 times as much. For a tradesman this is significant. For a hobby user it is less important. ThirdlyLi-ion batteries are much lighter than the equivalent NiCd batteries. maybe not a factor for you, but when working in awkward positions (such as drilling a ceiling) it can make quite a difference. Lastly, I doubt very much that you'll see any significant difference in the drilling or driving rate of these two drills - they are actually fairly close in spec.

Ok thanks for the reply, i guess i'll have to weigh up cost factor and how much use i will get out of it.

Sometimes i can go weeks without using one then i maybe use one for a few hours at a time so just wasn't sure what kind of batt life i'll get out of 1.3ah Nicd even though theres 2 of them compared to a to the 3.0ah LiIon whcih would last ages but if the power is the same or slightly better with the dewalt then i may go with that one. :)

I can recommend the Bosch 18v Lion drill from personal experience with it, i also own the cheaper 14.4v model that sells for £80 with 2 batterys. The cheap DeWalt tools B&Q sell are not like the older ones quality wise.

Sponsored Links
just got the makita 18v from B&Q not a bad tool!
An excellent choice! Sems to me that on site work joiners favour Makitas, plumbers Milwaukee and Bosch blue and electricians Bosch blue. Don't find many people using deWalts these days. There must be a reason for it.... Oh, I remember, those crappy XRP batteries! (amongst other things)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back