External light - 3 core and earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to connect up an external light in a new house where they left the cable hanging outside for me. It's 3 core and earth. Do I connect the yellow and blue wires both into the live and then the red to neutral and earth to earth? I'm sure this is simple but couldn't find an answer anywhere. Thanks

Sponsored Links
it really depends on how who ever put it in wired it.

I would guess Red = live
Blue = Neutral

and of course earth is earth

why not look at the other end / switch and see what is there

Thanks Breezer. I actually found this

"As with all wiring, use green and yellow sleeving around bare earth conductors. As with all wiring, put a ring of red tape around exposed cable cores which are not red, but are nevertheless live: yellow and blue cores of triple and earth cable, and black cores of twin and earth switch feeds."

from http://www.borpin.freeserve.co.uk/sbfaq/faq4119.htm

So I assume that the yellow and blue are live and the red is neutral. seems strange

sorry i must be missing something, i do not see how you figure from that that red is Neutral, it is only saying that if it is not red and it is either live or switched live you should mark it with red tape to indicate it IS LIVE (or switched live)

you only put red tape on a black wire when using twin and earth and the black is a switched live.

so that means red is Live, and the other colours could be swithed lives, i still favour red being live and blue being neutral

Sponsored Links
personally i would say the only safe soloution is to find the other end of the cable and check

Or use a meter to test it.

A METER, BTW, BEING A TOOL SO ESSENTIAL THAT IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ONE THEN YOU SHOULD NOT BE DOING ANYTHING WITH ELECTRICITY EXCEPT USING IT. NO, NOT EVEN CHANGING A PLUG.

If I leave my office door open, I can go out into the hallway, and from a distance of 30 feet I can still read Bans post!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back