Zanussi Aquacycle FLS.1183W pumping constantly & not spi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

Apologies in advance about the essay.... thought as much info as possible would be useful.

I'm hoping somebody can help me out on a problem with our 6 year old Zanussi washing machine.

A few days ago we noticed that the drum would not turn at all under any wash program. The machine was filling and draining OK and would work its way through a program, but the drum wouldn't turn at all, and certainly wouldn't spin.

Turning the drum by hand was OK in both clockwise and anti-clockwise direction, no obvious obstructions or bearing damage. So checking other posts on this forum, it looked like the best thing to do was to check the belt and the brushes. The belt was OK, but the original brushes were quite badly worn. I've just managed to fit some new brushes this morning without too many problems.

The machine now fills and drains OK, and to my surprise the drum on the machine now rotates <hurray>, but doesn't get anything up to full speed <boo>. Also, the drain pump seems to be running permanently on the two spin cycles (600rpm and 1050rpm).....

Can anybody shed any light on where the problem is? Looking at other posts, it has been suggested that this is a problem with the timer mechanism....

If it is the timer that is also faulty, would this be fairly low cost to replace? I've just spent £24 on new brushes and don't want to spend too much on a replacement timer if the problem lies elsewhere....

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Regards

cap3116

Sponsored Links
I did type an in-depth reply but got cut off and it was lost. The pumping throughout spin programmes is normal. Check the tacho magnet on the back end of the motor shaft, it might be loose. Pull off the thin rubber hose from the pressure switch and then try a spin. If it spins OK like that then you have a blocked water level pressure vessel. The pressure switch is a round device mounted near the top of the machine.

Cheers Fido, I'll give this a try this morning and let you know how I got on.

Thanks for your advice!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just an update on Fido's advice...

Took the motor off and had a good look at the tacho-magnet on the motor. All looked OK there, contacts good, and it was quite secure in place where it should be. I'm happy that the tacho-magnet is OK.

Then found the rubber hose that connects to the pressure switch, and disconnected that to see if that was the problem. The machine still progresses through the wash cycle, and does the `agitate wash` but does not spin still - it merely turns the drum at a (fairly) slow speed.

So, I thought I'd check the pump and drainage hoses whilst the machine was still opened up. All hoses were clear and the pump itself was fine. No obvious signs of anything wedged or jammed in there.

My only guess (and I am guessing!) is that it must be something to do with the timer.... If this is the case, then it's a replacement timer mechanism that needs to be fitted.

Does anybody have a (rough) idea of how much a new timer mechanism will be for this model?

Thanks all.

please note 10a which is here

Yes, I think it is the timer. You can probably get an exchange reconditioned unit from EMW Electronics Tel. 0115 9652118. They will need the numbers marked on the timer, often on a white label stuck to the metal timer casing.

Sponsored Links
I spent about an hour this morning ringing around local suppliers for a replacement timer on this machine - was quoted over £85 for a new timer, and they said it would be about a week before it was in stock. I can't wait that long!

I then spoke to a very helpful bloke at EMW Electronics. They have reconditioned timers (guaranteed for 12 months) in stock. I've been told that in 95% of these problems, the timer is the issue, so I went with those odds and purchased a reconditioned timer for £39 (inc delivery). They have asked that I return the old (suspected) faulty timer within 14 days.

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again Fido!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back