Cleaning and restoring a cast iron fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought a repossessed house and it has a lovely but very abused cast iron fireplace in the living room I have cleaned it with white spirit and bought all the things I have read about to restore it....wire wool, lint free cloth, metal polish, black polish etc... The fireplace is mainly black with silver accents, however I have noticed that there is blacking on the silver accents, I have tried to remove it with both the polish and with white spirit but it isn't shifting, is this something I will have to live with or is there a way to remove or can I use a silver paint to restore?

Many thanks with any help.

Amy

Sponsored Links
Amy - it's very likely your silver accents are simply the cast iron burnished to a shine ... a very common technique. To refurbish these use a couple of grades of emery cloth (medium, fine, very fine) - emery cloth is metalwork's answer to glasspaper (mistakenly called sandpaper). Do not be tempted to use glasspaper! You can readily obtain emery cloth in B&Q or similar.

Once you've established a smooth surface polish with Brasso ... that'll give the shine. Then treat the whole job with Zebo (or Zebrite): tip - use a bristle scrubbing brush to apply then buff with a lint-free rag. Always wear gloves to prevent stained hands.

Don't apply any paint if you intend to use the fireplace for a 'blaze' as it'll burn and smell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back