Gas fire Spilage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a new gas fire fitted have notice a black sooty deposit in two area around the top of the fire, it was fitted by a gas safe registered installer.

The fire place is york stone and the tape in this area has come away from the brick work, can I use a fire cement to make a tighter seal on the brick work.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's still under warranty can you get the fitter back. If not you'll need someone else who is gas safe to do it and check for spillage after.

Had a new gas fire fitted have notice a black sooty deposit in two area around the top of the fire, it was fitted by a gas safe registered installer.

The fire place is york stone and the tape in this area has come away from the brick work, can I use a fire cement to make a tighter seal on the brick work.

Thanks

Has the fitter just used tape on the plate? This is rarely any good on a brick or stone fireplace. When was it fitted? Is the "soot" on the stone,or the fire?

Pictures would be useful, mate.

Sealed with just tape, most of surround no problem, just in couple of areas where tape has not stuck to rough York stone as it is obviously not a smooth surface.

Soot is just on the stone surface.

Sponsored Links
This raises an interesting question as to just what should be used on a rough surface.

The tape is part of the gas installation and needs to be certified as suitable for the purpose. It also now has an expiry date.

Anything else is not certified for the purpose even though it may do the job better!

Perhaps it needs a smooth surface to be applied before the correct tape is used?

Tony

Sealed with just tape, most of surround no problem, just in couple of areas where tape has not stuck to rough York stone as it is obviously not a smooth surface.

Soot is just on the stone surface.

Ok. You still haven't given us a timescale. Even with a badly sealed plate there shouldn't be soot. However, if it is over a long period, convection currents will cause marks.

I don't really understand why you haven't contacted the installer. If he is not available, or was some time ago, you really need to contact a RGI to check it ut.

I, personally, dril, lplug and screw the plate in this circumstance, with a little silicon apllied over the joint.

Fire problems must not be treated complacently.

I would turn that fire off and keep it of. IT COULD KILL which might be better than have a friend or relative that ends up becoming A VEGETABLE from CO poisoning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back