Big Job - moving a staircase - Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm new, but I really need some help with this, so hopefully someone will be able to advise.

My wife and I are about to buy a 1970's 3 bed detached in Gloucestershire. The stairs come down in to the living room which neither of us are that keen on.

It's obviously a big job, but would anyone have any idea of the cost and also if it is even possible to move a staircase like this:

Original floor plans:

idea for staircase move:

The ideal would be to keep the downstairs bathroom and a proportaion of the utility, but I know we may have to sacrifice the utility. {nb that bit left in the lounge is a fireplace}

Many years down the line (if finances allow) we'd also like to put on a side extension of a garage and 4th bedroom like this:

So the first floor stair-entry-point move would allow a doorway through to the extension... but that's way down the line

So the question is... is that even possible and if so ... what would be a ball park cost?

Many thanks, J

Sponsored Links
I had a similar situation to you 2 and a half years ago. I got a builder round to estimate the costs. with all making good and decorating of all 4 arrected rooms (in our case) with a wild guess on the plumbing and electrics he estimated 10 grand...

We bought the house. But the stairs are still there hehe.... I just moved a wall for a couple of hundered quid but not sure if you have other options.

I had a similar situation to you 2 and a half years ago. I got a builder round to estimate the costs. with all making good and decorating of all 4 arrected rooms (in our case) with a wild guess on the plumbing and electrics he estimated 10 grand...

We bought the house. But the stairs are still there hehe.... I just moved a wall for a couple of hundered quid but not sure if you have other options.

yeah, moving the wall is by far easier and cheaper, but our living room would then become too narrow.

Any estimations on feasability and/or cost greatly appreciated...

Anything is possible but under your circumstances would it not be best to wait until you have your extension done? That way you'll already have an architect on board who can advise on this and you also minimise what would be considerable disruption.

Sponsored Links
Anything is possible but under your circumstances would it not be best to wait until you have your extension done? That way you'll already have an architect on board who can advise on this and you also minimise what would be considerable disruption.

the stairs need to be moved so that you can walk from the first floor landing through to the extension... therefore I need to know if it would be possible to move the stairs BEFORE the extension gets built, otherwise there'd be no point having a 2 story extension if we can't move the stairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back