SEAT Altea airbag light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to be helpful, I've just fitted new electric window winding cables to an 07 plate car. The bowden cables had stranded, and one had actually snapped :eek: £100 in parts.
Naturally this involved removing the entire door card and wiring loom - a bad enough job in itself.
However, now the airbag light is on. On the back of the door card, there was a small blue electrical unit, with a yellow push fit connector that I had to undo. Would this be a crash sensing device / airbag actuator?
Looks like a trip to SEAT is in order to turn the lamp off again, but I'd welcome any thoughts.
Good evening, everyone
John :)

Sponsored Links
if you have full vag you should be able to reset yourself.

or it might be as simple as diconnecting the battery for a few minutes?

or maybe youve disturbed something under the drivers seat?

or it might be the clock spring?????????

other then that,AINT GOT A SCOOBY.

as you say maybe its a firing mechanism for a side airbag. It is worth checking the under seat connector though if you did move it.
Ive had varying degrees of success with airbag lights, some would reset with a battery disconnect but others needed a dedicated tool.
The tools are have come down in price though,a dedicated airbag reset tool can be had for as little as £40

Thanks for your comments gents ;)
I did move the seats, but I did check for connection issues afterwards.
I didn't turn the ignition on when I was working though so I didn't expect this.
As the car doesn't respond to its remote key either (nothing to do with me, that one), I'm going to take it to a local VAG independant to see if they can sort both.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
id love to know why under seat connectors cause so many problems when moved, every one ive checked has been securely locked in place and the wiring has not been disturbed :rolleyes:

I agree - especially on VAG stuff....had a couple of Renaults disconnect, but thats probably due to the volume of cans, shoes and other debris thats normally caught under there.

As the car doesn't respond to its remote key either

have you tried reprogramming it to the car?
if it doesnt start the car then maybe the pats chip has fallen out.
broken wires in the door gaitor
batteries in the fob flat
or a broken pcb on the fob.

I've tried to code the key using the instructions in the handbook, but nothing at all happens. The car runs fine - it just won't lock / unlock with the remote.
Anyway, its off to a VAG independant on Friday so I'll post back.

Just replaced mine fairly straightforword, but a few things to watch for.
The airbag connector on the doorcard - I think it is possible to do the job without disconnecting it, thereby avoiding a big headache. Otherwise you have the airbag issue, disconnecting battery didn't work for me, just gave me a bigger problem as the radio needed recoding, despite the handbook stating it would recode itself, it didn't! Also dealer couldn't do it without booking the car in as an initial attempt to look for the code and enter it wasn't successful.
Further lesson therefore when buying a car get your dealer to demonstrate that they have the radio code and that it works?
Cost of repairing regulator £50 (ebay replacement, kits are cheaper but make sure you get the right cable spool), cost of resets ???

Update on that car.....my local VAG independant turned the lamp off (cost = a bacon sandwich) and apparently the car needs a new key.
Back to the owner - not my problem, that one.

My tale gets better, local dealer could not input/find a code, had to have car in for the day, got the car back with a code and radio in safe mode so now have to enter code myself, fingers crossed? Cost me £42, but they did turn off the airbag light though.
Wonder if Seat will refund the money, chances slim to none I would think!

There is a cheap car reader called a Cougar ODB II being sold on Ebay.

I presume that they will not reset airbag faults ???

Or will they on some models?

Tried a code reader but it wouldn't recognise warning light for airbag (despite being advertised that it did). Seller did accept returns though so nothing lost. Radio now works and have contacted Seat to reimburse cost charged by dealer, doubt they will but so far they have asked for a load of information about the history of the car, which is now 4 years old?

cost

Sponsored Links
Back