Consumer unit isolator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a few months I will be coming to the end of my level 3 and I will join Elecsa (hopefully)

For one of the assesments I am going to upgrade the CU in my own home. Currently have a 6 way wylex will rewireable fuses and a seperate Shower unit.

I would like the have an Isolator fitted so I can do the CU change however I am having no joy in getting any info out of Southern Electric.

I would also like to have the main fuse upgraded as its only a 63A.

I live in Crawley, West Sussex and my power is supplied by Southern Electric. Can any of you helpful chaps point me in the right direction who I have to talk to please?

Many thanks,

Adam

Sponsored Links
contact southern electric to tell you who your distribution network operator is or do an internet search. Contact the DNO and ask them to come and upgrade the fuse and/or arrange to pull the fuse for you and to come back later in the day to reinsert.

Should you wish for the isolator to be installed they will give you a price, some may add one when upgrading the fuse because it is easier to do this than return to renergise.

You may wish to note that i consider a ccu as a cooker connection unit and a cu as a consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
Thats ok. I think its just where I have been used to hearing CCU at college which we understood it as Customer consumer unit.

Telephone my DNO (UK Power Networks)

felt a bit like the info was wrong so maybe someone can clarify.

To upgrade fuse from 63A to 100A would be between £150 - £1100 depending if its a straight swap over or cable needs upgrade.

I asked them if they could also fit an Isolator switch to enable me to change the CU. They said they dont do that and the Electrician will have to do it (Thought that was strange?!?)

I then asked them how much it would be to de-energise and re-energisde and they said they dont do that - I will need to get whoever my electricity supplier (Southern Electric in this case) to do that.

I kind of feel all the above is information is incorrect.

No wonder people just cut the seal!

For the supplier fuse upgrade that is not a bad price compared to what I have seem.
For new isolators - this service is normally provided by the people who fit the meters.
Ask Southern Electric for the telephone number of their meter provider - if the person who answers the phone doesn't know ask to speak to a supervisor.
This is the meter operators website - if southern electric cannot help speak to them they may be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.meteroperators.org.uk/members.php

Fix the isolator in place where the tails from the meter will reach it.

At the point where the guy has removed the old fuse but not put in the new one distract him with a pot of tea and a selection of nice biscuits.

While he is busy with those move the tails from the CU to the isolator.

Best way to get them out is to call the emergency number and say you can smell burning from the cutout and if feels rather warm. They prob be out within the hour and replace the cutout if it looks old and slightly damaged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back