Lead Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some paint I need to strip at home. My flat is 110 years old and in some areas there are about 15-20 layers of paint. I have a heat gun and have also bought some chemical stripper. I'm worried about lead paint, is the chemical stripper the best way to go?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old paint in my opinion should be removed. If you have 100 years of paint on your woodwork I was in exactly the same position as you about 10 years ago.
I used a hot air stripper to get down to the VERY sticky brown varnish coat that was the first layer on the wood. Then a chemical stripper ( I used Nitromors ) applied liberally, left for a while ( dont let it dry ) then with steel wool worked the stripper into the grooves on the mouldings.
Then I used white spirits with more steel wool to remove most of the chemical and varnish mix. Finally soap and water to remove what was left. When it dries use 2000 grade steel wool to restore the wood to its original state. Takes AGES but it can be worth it..

Make sure you have the correct protective gloves and stuff before you start. Be VERY carefull and dont get any in your eyes. Even on skin it burns like Hell.

If the paint is on the skirting board or door architrave,sometime you're better off replacing with fresh new timber which will stop you worrying about the lead paint,but the job could take longer if plaster start to fall off behind the skirting board !

Thanks, I am actually replacing all the skirting and door architrave as it's easier that way. The paint I need to remove is on the panels next to the windows that I would like to keep. They were actually covered with hardboard panels but I found them underneath. Would using a heat gun not cause problems with fumes if the paint contains lead?

Sponsored Links
There is a possibility of a problem I suppose?? I'm not sure.
As for replacement timber, yes it's easier but take a good hard look at the stuff you are taking off. If its been there for 100 years it will be top notch pine. Not the C**p you get at the local D.I Y. Shop. If you are repainting then thats not so bad but if you want to keep the wood as "wood" it will look awefull compared to your panelling..

Just my opinion...

From the decorator book ' Lead is toxic and heating the paint will produce lead-laden fumes'.

See this for more details.

Blimey I've been lucky then. I now have NO old paint at all in the house ...
I must admit that when I was taking all the old paint off I had the rooms well ventilated. Probably just as well?? It was still worth the effort though.. The woodwork is now oiled pine throughout and is the bees knees

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back