oven cable and plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm abit of a novice on this and need help. Ive got a new double oven (Indesit FDU20IX) and a sparky is coming round to put a 'proper' 32A socket in the wall. However I now discover the oven doesn't come with a plug or cable.
Could someone tell me what size cable and plug to use.
Surely I dont need a sparky to fit the cable to the oven, it looks just like a plug?
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
it should be permantly connected to the wiring. there is usually a blank plate behind the cooker which has a terminal block inside. wire T&E into this. if your goin with the 32A socket, youll need to get 1 and youll need some thick flex to wire it. cable size depends on power rating of cooker and MCB rating.

also, why have you used a 32A socket instead of a simple cooker connection unit

on the oven there will be a kW rating

if it is less than 3kW it can be connected to a standard 13A plug (preferably on a seperate cooker circuit at all times)

If more than this it has to be into a cooker outlet - on a seperate cooker circuit .

< 3kw I would use 2.5 mm square heat resistant flex

> 3kw I would use 4mm square heat resistant flex (upto about 5kW or so)

Thanks guys!

So I need some 4mm heat resistant cable, any ideas where Ican get this from?
Then can I just bung any plug on the end?

Do you see what I mean when I say beginner!!

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
i've got a bit of experience as im a apprentice :D

but youhave to wire the cooker to a cookercable plate and from there to you cooker switch :d thats how im doing mine

maybe the mods and old skool fellas might go a bit more detailed

as has been said, it depends on the cooker rating, and if it is over 3kw you cant plug it in (well you can but not with a domestic 13a plug)

breezer if its over 3kw the best option would be like what i said correct?

domestic yes, commercial no, next time you go into some where where they have an "indoor bakery" have a look, the ovens often plug in, big that they are (but then they have big plugs and sockets) you may also see one in a burger chain restaruant

commando sockets

a matter of fact i wired one of thoes the other day for a cafe in london

he had a new fridge put in(blue commando plug)

just wire it into a cooker outlet

the reason they use commando connectors in commercial premises are

1. ease of removal for cleaning in cooking premises

2. so burger boys (and girls) don't get killed disconnecting them for cleaning! (in other words a plug helps discourage unskilled people from touching the electrical installation)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back