garage power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am installing power in my garage
i am considering fitting a small consumer unit (apparently made for a garage)
It incorporates 2 MCBs and a RCD i will be using armoured cable to connect to the mains
it will be used primarily for garden lighting
and a pump for a water feature

Is it possible and also sensible to spur off the kitchen ring
to provide the power for this installation
Your replys are treated with the greatest respect
Cheers Ian

Sponsored Links
Definately not .... run the supply to it's own circuit back at the Consumer unit and terminate the SWA into a small juction box then use a bit of 4mm Twin / Earth between that and the MCB / Fuse (assuming you are using 2.5 or 4mm SWA) Remember to ensure the continuity of the earth.

Alexnic- so the circuit from the house consumer to the garage consumer would be a radial?
Would you then do the circuits inside the garage as rings?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the information guys
Thats what i was checking for !
Now because my house has concrete floors and the garage
is at the back of the house.
Am i right in saying you cant just channel out the floor
and run cable in it.

I have been told the best way would be to run swa
through the front of the the house cleated to the outside wall of the house
right to the back of the house then dig down and run it into my Garage

Now this doesnt sound right to me!!

But then again thats why i am asking
Cheers again Ian

A cable in the ground is supposed to be a minimum of 18 inches down, (and marked)but as yours will be in concrete, i am not sure. The reason it has to be so deep is so it can not be easily cut with a spade, but you wont be using a spade on concrete, why not as you suggest make a channel, but put something like a scafold pole in it, and run your cable through that. after all you can bury a conduit in a wall so why not a scafold pole (or similar, just to give good mechanical protection)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back