boiler noisy then shuts off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal Elan boiler which is 18 years old. When the bolier comes on it makes a knocking noise then shuts off soon after. Water comes out of the expansion tank overflow - looks like a circulation problem. The pump has been changed. The last time the system was working only half the radiators would work at any time - the only way to get downstairs to work was to switch some or all of the upstairs ones off. I suspected the motorised valve but when latch it on manual I still get the problem. I seem to have had problems since a bathroom radiator was replaced (and moved slightly) earlier this year. Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
I've opened the drain valve and the cold water feed was flowing freely. The pump is running even when the boiler shuts down - I guess an airlock is a possibility bu all the radiators have been bled.

Sponsored Links
Is there an air bleed in by the HW cylinder, on the side pipes?

"Water comes out of the expansion tank overflow - looks like a circulation problem."
If you mean the vent(over the top) then yes you have. System needs a powerflush

No air bleed by the HW cyclinder.

I've got an engineer coming Thursday - don't think I've many more options to try

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back