Applying paint to a ceramic tile floor

Angel said:
Thanks again for your help. I have found a product called flex-c-ment. It's a flexible cement product that goes right over top of the existing tile. It's a bit pricey but it will avoid the mess at least. The colours will give me the faux finish that I am looking for so I think that might be the way to go here. I am a long way from Niagra on the lake as I am in British Columbia. Thanks again for your help.

Hi There - I am in Toronto Canada and am trying to do the same thing to my bathroom floor - how did the Flex-c-ment work for you???
Did they have to send to you or did you find a local distributor?
Help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
I have no idea how it works yet as I am not able to buy the product unless I become an installer. It's about $ 14.00 per square foot to have it installed so I think I will be nixing the idea. Way too expensive so I think we will just replace the tiles. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Given the route that you guys seem to be going down have you thought of restartting this thread and entitling the thread "screeding over tiles" aimed at the flooring or concreting guys on this board. I reckon that there will be screeds that you may be able to put over tiles that won't be installer purchase only.
I checked out the website of the product you mentioned and there are many more companies producing this type of system out there than this one..stamped, textured, stained, embedded, overlayed concrete has been a far more rapidly growing industry over your side of the pond than here but there may well be guys here on one of the forums that has worked with these types of systems. Stamped concrete isn't new here and is hardly rocket science but the actual laying of concrete/screeds etc. need knowing about...I worked for a time with a company who did Scofield products (a U.S. company)...amazing things can be done, here's a nice example (not mine): http://www.scofield.com/concretestain_ex5.html
I did a few pieces similar to the picture..but I just laid out the design and coloured..the concrete guys did the rest.
Cait

Hi Angel, I think paintcait is on the right track. I make murals on walls and floors. I have a simple procedure on ceramic tiles (often glossy) that seems to have lasted for at least for 5 years (and going) on a high traffic area in my own home: heavy sanding (rent a machine), priming, then I use Delta Ceramacoat. Lastly, I apply 4-6 coats of clear varnish. I'm an artist, not a technical person, but this works great for me. The key is the ceramacoat and the long drying time. Hope this helps you and anyone out there. Delta makes quite a few interesting metalics and mediums to add interest to the finish also.

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much! I think I will give this a try in my own home before trying it in my clients. Sounds great!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back