removing a switch (urgent)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a ceiling mounted cord swich that I want to remove and cover up with coving. How can I do this please!!!!

urgent - many thanks

Phil :eek:

Sponsored Links
you should turn the mains off and remove the switch, put each wire in connector strip, only thing is you will not be able to turn the light on since you have no switch.

You should ideally run a new cable from the light to the new switch postion, but you could use a 5 amp junction box instaed of connector strip and extend the cable to the new switch position, you should use 1.00mm or 1.5mm twin and earth

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

As I have another switch already in my bedroom with the same function I just want to remove the switch in question totally. Therefore do I just get a connector strip and patch over with filler or do I do something else - this is much appreciated.

Many thanks

Phil :)

Sponsored Links
if you are saying that you can turn the light on from one switch and off from the other, (and vice versa) you have what is called two way switching.

one switch will have 2 cables (7 wires including the earths) if your pull cord has just 4 go to the other switch and remove the cable which has red, blue and yellow (and its earth) you will then need to put one of the remaining two wires in the top connection of the switch (c or common)

this will then make the other end dead since it will no longer be connected.

If how ever it is your pull cord switch that has the 7 wires you will have to use a 5 amp jucnction box and connect only 4 of the wires (and earth)

there should also be two wires in two terminals (your switch will have 3 terminals) you will need to connect the two (but sepearte form each other) that are in L1 & L2

you still need to go to the other switch and you will then need to put one of the remaining two wires in the top connection of the switch (c or common)

the one in c (common) you can cut off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back