Railway sleeper retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning chaps,

I have a garden that slopes upwards, away from the house, over a length of about 50ft. I would like to put down some decking on the lower end near the house. I'm planning on excavating some soil to create a flat area about 15ft square and would like to use railway sleepers to build a retaining wall.

A few quewstions that i have:

What should i use to support the sleepers? I was going to use fence posts behind the sleepers and then run bolts through the sleepers into the posts. Would this be sufficient?

After heavy rain i get a lot of water run off towards the house. Should i use something to proect the sleepers from the water?

Any other help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Sponsored Links
You can use fence posts of better yet off cuts of sleeper. Using long timberloks screw right through from the front but you'll need at least a corded drill to put them in or preferably and impact driver.

You need to think about drainage and putting a land drain/ french drain behind the wall as you would any retaining wall. No need for weep holes as the sleepers will have enough gaps to let it out.

Often when paving the lower side of a sleeper wall a strip of gravel is used anyway to stop cresote leaking onto paving.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back