Vauxhall Astra starter motor intermittently wont work.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have got 12 year old Vauxhall Astra Hatchback. Several weeks ago, fault first occurred. Turned ignition switch to start up but nothing happened, no noise from start motor, only silence. Tried to start the car a few times, eventually gave up. Got out of car and reached through window to remove ign. key and turned it for one last try. The starter turned and car started! Tried starting again from the driving seat and no response.
So got out and again turned the key while standing and again car started!
The car started normally following this and went all right for two or three weeks. But yesterday the problem returned. First time the same thing as above happened but then on the second occasion it would not start at all, (in the drivers seat or standing outside and turning ign. key). But when I left and returned to the car a couple of hours later it started first time! This has now become the norm. javascript:emoticon(':confused:') If the starter won't turn leave the car for an hour or so and it will start normally on return. Can anybody help with this, I cannot understand what could be causing it to behave in this way. It's puzzling!

Sponsored Links
One of those weird coincidences - and you can be certain that if you took the car to a garage it would perform perfectly!
A guess would be the ignition switch but there is no certainty here.
However - find the low current terminal on the starter motor (thin wire) and check for its security. Connect a multimeter to it (or a 12v bulb will do).
When you try to start and it fails, if the bulb lights up its the starter. If the bulb (or meter) does nothing when you try then its the switch or associated wiring.
Best of luck!
John :)

i do know a few people having issues with the ignition on the zafira same stuff

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the replies. Have tried to find cause of fault over the last two days and found connections between Ignition switch and Starter solenoid were all ok. Yesterday it would not start and I removed the plastic cover that covers the Ignition switch. Two wires were visible (a red wire and a black wire). I found that touching the two wires with a finger while turning the Ignition key turned the starter every time. Unfortunately I then tried to find the red/black starter wire by removing the remaining "cover" and damaged the Ignition switch, (I cannot fit it back and a small copper part of the switch was broken off).
:eek:
Looks like a garage job.
Is it an easy diy job?
Engine type/no: X16SZR

Back