Landing Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Landing Light One Light, Two switches, one up stairs one downstairs. I removed the light and when I moved the wiring it all came away and I am not sure how to get it back the way it was.

Now I have 3 wires coming out of the ceiling with Red, Black And Green. Greens are all looped together and out of the way.

The other 3 wires are separated Red - Black – Red - Black – Red – Black in a chocolate block, Left is downstairs switch, Middle is permanent live & right I am guessing is upstairs switch.

Any ideas what colours need to be linked together to get the flow back to the light and where the wires from the bulb would attach? being a Friday night I have tried a few but am worried about flicking the mains again as I am running out of fuse wire?

Sponsored Links
fl8sh said:
The other 3 wires are separated Red - Black – Red - Black – Red – Black in a chocolate block, Left is downstairs switch, Middle is permanent live & right I am guessing is upstairs switch.

Do not guess!. Use a meter and find out for sure. Remember that electricity can be dangerous. If in doubt consult a qualified electrician.

You should study, and understand, the diagrams in the For Reference Section.

2-way switching is not done by connecting each switch individually to the light.

You have probably got the standard loop-in system that you will see described in For Reference:

3 reds - live in, live out and switch

1 black - switched live - (should be sleeved red) - connected to red/brown of light

2 blacks - neutral in, neutral out - connected to black/blue of light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back