Essex Flange

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have tried to fit a 1 inch female Danzey flange to top of my hot tank, but the tank has a male 1 inch bsp and is too long for the flange - is it adaptable? How?

Sponsored Links
I don't know the flange you're using but a york or a surrey flange one male one female are for the top of cylinders or an essex flange is where you drill a hole in the side, thread the rubber seal and split copper ring through, hold on to back nut with flip ovver wire contraption, drop it in and buy another one but get it right this time because of that expensive mistake you've learned from. In the end you'll get it right.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. The flange has a female 1 inche end to connect to the top male 1 inche at the top of the tank. the problem is, the flange runs out of thread before sealing to the top of the tank and leaks.

flange has a female 1 inche end
Would that be "ye olde worlde inche" as opposed to the modern inch?

Seriously though, perhaps you could fit a 1" washer to the base of the female thread - the top of the male thread would then compress on this. In addition (or instead) gas type PTFE tape, or hemp, wrapped generously around male threads might well seal.

Sponsored Links
He he he! Many thanks for your help - I am gonna give that a try.

Thanks.

He he he! - I am gonna give that a try.
Er..when I said "hemp", I meant the fibrous stuff used for sealing pipe threads.....You did realise that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back