hot steam comes out of vent pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry i'm abi nieve but in need of help.
I just turned on CH and the pump makes a louder noise than last spring. also the rads upstairs get hot but the downstairs dont. Also to add to my problems the vent pipe in the loft over the tank starts to blow out steam. All this was after i tried to drain and refill for the coming winter period. Plese i need help!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply. The rads have water but how do i bleed the pump? and would this cause the hot steam out of the air vent pipe.

p2493710_l.jpg

Sponsored Links
Bled the pump. the propeller is rotating. re bled the rads aswell. but still no joy. hot up and cold down in rads. Now its starting to rush steam out the vent pipe in the loft. its sounds abit scary for my kids.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have now had the top rads turned off, and when the downstairs got hot i have turned them off aswell except one with the intenstion of forcing out the rush off water we still hear. If anyone has any ideas on how to tackle this more please let me know.

please note 10a which is here

Re-check the pump, only this time shut both isolating valves and take the head off (usually 4 cap-head screws). Check the rotor is (a) still attached to the shaft, and (b) is clear of any obstruction.

Then bleed to exclude air as per previous advice, finally checking the header tank is full.

sounds similar to my posting on monday. i was advised to check for a blockage in the header feed pipe. i checked it and it was fine. have just turned it all back on to see what happens???

ferociousbeast said:
sounds similar to my posting on monday. i was advised to check for a blockage in the header feed pipe. i checked it and it was fine. have just turned it all back on to see what happens???

yup sounds very much like a blocked dropped feed..

check if header tank is draining quickly when u drain off,isolate water in, then drain off,possibly 2 man/woman[to ward off the sexist comments]job,see if water drains from tank into system, judge how slowly this happens.if sludge valve stops draining then dribbles u may have a blockage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back