New Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice sought please!
1. My current 8.5kw shower needs replacing. Fisrtly I am considering whether to opt for a bath/shower mixer unit instead or a more powerful electric unit (eg.10.5kw) ?
For the replacement electric shower:
2. The current cable looks very thick but there is nothing written on the cable, how do I tell what size it is? it is flat grey cable at least 10mm across (I know a 10mm cable is recommended but this refers to the x-sectional area, right)
3. There is currently a pull cord isolator in the bathroom and switch box outside the bathroom. How do find their rating?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
this from the sticky might be usful to judge your cable size:

Judging what cable size you have:

1mm² CSA T&E has overall dimensions of 7.8mm x 4.25mm
1.5mm² CSA T&E has overall dimensions of 8.2mm x 5mm
2.5mm² CSA T&E has overall dimensions of 10.3mm x 6mm
4mm² CSA T&E has overall dimensions of 11.9mm x 6.25mm
6mm² CSA T&E has overall dimensions of 13.5mm x 7mm
10mm² CSAT&E has overall dimensions of 17.1mm x 10mm
16mm² CSA T&E has overall dimensions of 19.4mm x 10mm

Source: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk

jimdonington said:
3. There is currently a pull cord isolator in the bathroom and switch box outside the bathroom. How do find their rating?
Thanks!

Pull cord and switch box?

Can you explain?

The rating of the pullcord will be on the back of the switch. Kill the power, unscrew the switch from the pattress and look on the underside of the switch, where the wires are attached.

Sometimes a torch and mirror come in handy.

Ok, from the figures above it appears I have 10mm cable.

Yes, pull cord in the bathroom to switch on/off shower, box on wall outside bathroom with large red switch and light to isolate shower. It's an old MOD house if that makes any difference!

Sponsored Links
Does the pull switch also have a read light on it? (on the bit thats screwed to the ceiling)

jimdonington said:
Ok, from the figures above it appears I have 10mm cable.

Yes, pull cord in the bathroom to switch on/off shower, box on wall outside bathroom with large red switch and light to isolate shower. It's an old MOD house if that makes any difference!

They both isolate the shower? :!:

Can you post some pictures?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back