Flush jointed kitchen worktops.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My dad had a new kitchen fitted and the worktops meet eah other almost seemlessly. How is this done and is it something that can be done readily (I need to do one). I noticed there are bolts underneath the worksurface that hold the two pieces together.

Cheers,
Gcol

Sponsored Links
This is called a butt and scribe joint. You need to purchase a worktop jig, which costs around the £60-70 mark for a 600mm wide worktop. On top of that you need to buy a router from about 1700 Watts upwards with a half inch collet to take a 2" long, half inch router bit, especially for these kind of joints. Its expensive at first but if you plan on doing quite few it will soon pay for itself. Another good thing to buy is a product called colourfill which you can get in various colours to match the worktop you are using this goes between the joint and when tightening the bolts undernesth squeezes out and is easily cleaned off after with some sovent. Hope this info helps.

Sponsored Links
I read something about doing these butt and scribe joints that said you should fit biscuits to the joint as well. Is this really necessary? I don't have a biscuiter.
Thanks,
Gcol

First, you don't need a biscuiter as you can buy a router bit that does the same job. I don't use biscuits all the time but it can be a real pain getting the worktops level with each other if your doing it on your own. If theres two of you I wouldn't bother but if your doing it alone the biscuits do keep the worktops joint nice and flat and obviously it's a stronger joint

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back