All radiators cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During the summer, I had 2 radiators replaced with new ones and another one removed and capped off as it was no longer required. The work was done by local plumbers. Now I have tried the heating system, all the radiators stay cold. When I turn up the thermostat, turn on the heading, I hear the pump start and the valve open as the pipe to and from the valve gets hot. But that is it. The hot water does not seam to go to the radiators. I have bled all the radiators. The hot water system works fine. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
have you bled the pump?

the large screw in the middle of it is "the equiviliant" of a bleed valve on a radiator

Yes, I have tried bleeding the pump, but when I undo the screw a couple of drops of water comes out but air. Is that normal?

there should be no air.

can you hear if the pump is actually running?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, what I meant to say was just a drop of water and no air.
The pump is definately working as is the water control valve.
Here is some more infomation. I have closed off all rads but one. It just about gets hot - slowly. I tried the same again with 2 other rads. The same result. That means I have enough power for one radiator only!.

Does that mean maybe my system is full of slugde or my pump is not up to the job?

I am not a plumber or heating engineer, so i can not give you a deffinite answer, but as the system has been there for years? it is unlikely the pump was never up to the job, but it may be that through age the pump has given up, it does happen, you can get them from most big major diy stores

IM assuming you have not used the rads since the work was done in the summer. Are your rads drop fed, in other words do the pipes drop down to the rads after riseing up from the boiler, if so you could just have a plane old airlock. most pumps set on the lowest speed will run at a decent speed if yours runs slow at its lowest speed(by slow i meen you can visably see the same point on the shaft turning) then it has probably had it. Can you descri e the type of system you have

Just a thought,
Did the plumber shut all the radiator valves down on both side while working on them and probably still shut on the return flow.

why not just get the person who done the work in the summer, did he not give you a guarantee

Had a system doing this today - could hear air in the pump. CH Pumps will not pump air! No progress after 1/2 hour, so I turned the pump round which cleared the air in a few minutes. Having put the pump in I knew its valves and washers were OK!

When you say turn the pump round. Do you mean remove the pump and put it back in the wrong direction?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back