Noisy Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 10 year old Halstead 55FF boiler which when in CH mode is noisy.
The noise starts about 30 seconds or so before the thermostat trips out the burner.
This only occurs when the system is up to temperature i.e. radiators are hot.
After the burner shuts down the noise subsides until the same point in the next cycle.

The noise is similar to that of a jet aircraft flying overhead.
If I turn the boiler 'stat down to about 3 the noise does not happen.

From reading the other postings I guess that the system needs desludging and flushing.
If this is the case can anyone please recommend products for this task.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well done for doing the research. I think you're right in suspecting sludge in boiler, probably in main heat exchanger. However check that there aren't any filters fitted on the return pipe. These could block and prevent circulation. Also check if there is a by-pass, either internal or external. This will help to determine where blockage is.

As for flushing treatment, there are various methods and chemicals. I'm sure some more research will bear fruit. Personally I would try flushing using mains pressure water, but you have to set up suitable fill and discharge points (and have a logical mind) to make the most of this method.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back