Skimming ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to skim our kitchen ceiling. It's about 5m*7.5m. Where is the best place to start plastering?

Along the short side
Along the long side
In one corner and work outwards
?????????????????

Sponsored Links
start at the longest bit working from left to right then go back and do the middle in the same way then start from left to right on the opposite side. and go this way when your flattening because the plaster is going off at the same time youve put it on. go the opposite way if your left handed. theres a bit more to it than this, and this has probably confused you because its confusing for me to read but it starts the ball rolling. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
jbonding said:
start at the longest bit working from left to right then go back and do the middle in the same way then start from left to right on the opposite side. and go this way when your flattening because the plaster is going off at the same time youve put it on. go the opposite way if your left handed. theres a bit more to it than this, and this has probably confused you because its confusing for me to read but it starts the ball rolling. :LOL:
Well I understood you perfectly, but I won't try to explain it to you, as it would just confuse you further. You've just got to ask yourself one thing, "can you say that again only more slowly?" :LOL:

Good advice indeed J bonding ........but in light of the question as a whole it is clear the gentleman concerned has not the slightest idea of how to plaster a ceiling, so whats the betting that when the deed is done Mr E will look up at his kitchen ceiling and say to himself "I wish I had listened to the Pratt".........now where are the Golden pages!

you havent said exactly what you intend to skim....is it a new ceiling with new plasterboard or are you going over an old ceiling.....??????

i was refering to the job in hand not the skill involved...........have you ever tried to skim a ceiling panted with gloss paint.......i rest my case

i have, and i would skim in the same way, left to right because im right handed. "I am about to skim our kitchen ceiling. It's about 5m*7.5m. Where is the best place to start plastering?"

any left hand corner .if your right handed.u may have to close the middle section in if you carnt stretch to the centre line..........best of luck......r u using multi finnish or thistle

to be totaly honest !
if you have no idea of where to start.you may as well forget it.
rules is rules

Maybe you should give it a go even if after one coat you decide to get someone in, at least you will have learned a bit about it. I would also have a look at the specific plastering section on this website for general skimming tips. Skimming walls isnt actually that difficult to obtain an acceptable finish (especially with a bit of sanding/filling) once you have a bit of guidance but ceilings are quite a bit harder. Although I am only a DIYer with a bit of experience at it.

For god's sake Master1, you're replying to a TWO and a Half year old post,October 2005. The ceiling has been plastered and the house demolished since then. :rolleyes:

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back