Wall covering that melts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are stripping the walls on our hall, stairs and landing and have discovered a covering under the many layers of paper.
(only on one wall)

This covering is light brown in colour and just melts when you put the steam stripper over it but won't come off.

My questions are what is it, How can it be removed, can we just paper over this substance or will we have to re-plaster the walls?

I don't know if this will help but a neighbour told me there used to be a type of wall covering that was like putty and what we have is the residue left after its removal.

There is a green substance on the wall, I believe it is called distemper, but that just scrapes of leaving nice clean plaster.

Regards

Dave

Sponsored Links
It sounds like Lincrusta to me, the brown could be where its been painted over the years... does it smell like putty?

Thanks Zampa

Yes it smells like putty but only when its hot!

If it is lincrusta can I it just be papered over, or plaster over it or does it have to be scrapped off.

Regards

Dave

Sponsored Links
It is Lincrusta then,

Unfortunatly it must come off..even worse its normally fixed with very strong adhesive, I would ring Crown paints about the adhesive too because somewhere nagging in the back of my mind theres something telling me the old glue may have been lead based, so...dont be tempted to use a heat gun on it for now...but it might help if the glue is ok..

Plastering over may lift the Lincrusta off, not a good idea and no self respecting plaster would want to attempt it.

Your really need to get behind it and try to get it off dry if possible.

If theres distemper behind it then it shouldnt be that hard to shift.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back