Electricity versus LPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got the letter last night saying that my LPG is going up again, so I'm going to buy a fireguard, get the chimney swept and start burning old pallets in the fireplace in the front room for warmth, but I still need to get my water warm somehow.

Given that I have a fairly old Vaillant 828, does anyone have any view on whether or not it would just be cheaper to stick a timer on my immersion heater, or is that still going to be much more expensive. Or will (shudder) replacing my boiler with a more efficient one pay for itself in a reasonable timeframe (I looked into solar, but the payback is about 10-15 years, form what I can see)

Sponsored Links
johnny_t said:
I looked into solar, but the payback is about 10-15 years, form what I can see

It's only 10-15 years at todays prices!! :(
Tommorow it might be 5 years so watch out for a boom in sales of Solar stuff.

Cost of electricity is about 10p / kWh, cost of gas is about 2.5p, cost of LPG??
Factor in your boiler being about 65% efficient and it may be about the 30% less than electricity, I'd still keep the boiler and use the immersion as back-up for DHW.

Have you considered economy 7. The standing charge is higher but the power costs about 5p / kWh and if you (i.e.) use a timer on the washing machine and dishwasher it could work out cheaper.

Ditch the old boiler asap and get a quality modern condensing boiler with weather compensation - viessmann or atag.

As for hot water - get a large 200litre indirect cylinder with an immersion heater at the bottom. That way you can have either LPG boiler or economy 7 for hot water. You can run both ways for a couple of months and see which works out cheaper.

My guess is that economy 7 would be slightly cheaper if you only use the 200 litres in one day. If you run out of hot water, then use the boiler - not the immersion to boost it!

OK - I know this is a bit of a crystal ball question, but does anyone have a rule of thumb for how much cheaper a new boiler is going to be to run compared to an old one. i.e about 5%, about 10%, about 20% etc. Just helps me get an idea of payback times....

Sponsored Links
Before the recent price changes, it was possible to recoup the cost of changing the boiler to oil, and installing a tank, within 3 years against LPG. Compared with LPG in bulk tanks, electricity would be dearer, but needs almost no maintenance. If you're using 100lb cylinders, just consider suicide.

Its either a 1200 or 2000 litre tank up the end of my garden, so no need to reach for the rope just yet.....

A change to Oil is sounding OK at the moment - Is there anything else that I need to take into account ??

John

the normal lpg tank for a house is a 1/2 ton approx1409litres although some older verticals do still survive 1600 litres or if you are really unlucky you could have a sphere.most reasonably modern installs could have two 100h connected together around 400litre capacity per tank have a word with calor ask them when it was last serviced[the tank] and tell them you are considering getting gas elsewhere,i would keep the old valliant and invest in good controls and insulation hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back