Security intercom handset replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we live in a tenement flat and have just decorated hall. It looks great apart from a clunky only door entry system handset. The handset is also fairly duff in that it has no volume control, poor clarity etc, so this is the ideal time to get-rid.

Is it easy to replace with a modern looking newer version? It needs to have a button to open the door (obviously) but can new ones be bought off the shelf? Is the wiring of these things standard?

If I was to call our factor for this to be done it would take ages and be expensive, so would rather DIY if possible.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There are numerous different manufacturers of door entry systems and they are not all compatible. Some are slightly compatible with others, and some are completely incompatible.

There is the possibility that an incompatible or wrongly wired handset would knock out the entire system to all the flats.

If you can put up a pic of the handset someone may be able to identify it.

They don't usually have volume controls in the handset, that is set inside the speech unit at the communal door.

it is an LT Seko - no other numbers etc to be more specific.is this fairly common and replaceable? Does it have a mains supply running to it too?

Seko was absorbed by Terraneo which in turn became part of Legrand BTicino. You have a very old system - in fact it may have been installed by Telephone Rentals from the logo?

Terraneo 603 or 600WS handsets should be compatible
http://www.safelink.co.uk/store/shop/shop.php?action=full&id=29

A pecularity of the Terraneo systems of this style is that the speech unit at the door does not have an independent connection to the power supply - it relies on power through the carbon microphone in the handset to power the speech amplifier at the door.

1 and 2 in the Terraneo handset should be speak/listen (or may be listen/speak)
3 is common
T is lock release
6 is call (AC buzzer)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Owain - thats exactly the kind of info I am looking for. Not sure about "relays for speech privacy to individual handsets" though. All I know is that it has a switch to put the buzzer on/silent - though unfortunately the silent means the door opening is also off.

When I picked the handset up yesterday to take the pic there is always a bit of a (feedback?) squeal. Will that be resolved with a newer (and better?!) handset?

Don't worry about the speech privacy if you don't have it.

The new handset probably won't come with a buzzer cut off switch.

It sounds like the switch on the current handset is wired into the common wire. It should be wired into the buzzer wire (6)

squeal on picking up is an occupational hazard of these things. If it still happens with the new handset the resolution would be to turn down the gain at the entrance panel but this would affect all the flats.

Comelit universal handset is listed as being compatible with Terraneo 600 and is somewhat cheaper than the Terraneo
http://www.safelink.co.uk/store/shop/shop.php?action=full&id=458[/QUOTE]

OK, I have the Comelit as suggested. The old Seko was wired like this:

The colours-numbering is as follows:
1-red
2-black
3-yellow
4-blue
5-green
6-white

With the Comelit the terminal block is A,B,C,D,E,C2,P2

Can anyone tell me which colours should then feed in to which letters??? I have tried just using the same order as with the old handset (ie 1=A, 2=B etc) but its not working.

Thanks in advance...

The colours-numbering is as follows:
1-red
2-black
3-yellow
4-blue
5-green
6-white

There are several ways of wiring Terraneo as shown below, and none is mentioned as Seko or corresponds exactly to what I'd expect.
http://www.safelink.co.uk/store/product_uploads/1272623620.pdf

Proceed as follows:

Set E/M to M and J1 to -ve. Ignore C2 and P2 on the Comelit.

The Comelit terminal functions are:

A Door opener
B Condenser microphone
C Common
D Call (electronic or mechanical)
E Loudspeaker

It appears one of the grey wires from the buzzer goes to green? - that would be your call wire. I also think that yellow is your common.

Start by connecting yellow to C and green to D. Check your phone buzzes when called from the door panel. If it does then you have identified C and D however they may be transposed.

Touch each other wire in turn to C. The wire that releases the lock goes to A. If no wire releases the lock, transpose yellow to D and green to C. Touch each other wire in turn to C. The wire that releases the lock goes to A.

Another wire touched to E will let you listen (you may need to have another flat's handset off hook to power the speech unit at the panel while you find this), and a final wire to B should let you talk to the panel. You will have one wire spare.

OK, yellow into C means that I can hear someone at the door through the handset. only problem is when I touch green to D the buzzer in the handset is constant. similar story if I reverse the two wires. any suggestions?

Yellow and *what* lets you listen? *what* should be a wire going to E.

If yellow is common, and yellow + green to C + D gives you continuous buzzer, then either

- green is lock release and you are hearing the buzzer in series with the lock, or
- green is continuous AC, which in some systems is carried to flats on a 6th wire - it's intended for a bell-push at the flat door for local doorbell, and can be disregarded.

Does touching green to yellow give you a lock release?

Once you've got common/buzz/lock identified, that only leaves 2 wires for speak/listen, and you seem to have found listen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back