Hoover New Wave 1100 problem **update**

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya

Ive got a pretty old Hoover New Wave 1100 washing machine, its been working fine for the last 12 years, no problems at all. But today when I came to use it, the motor comes on, but no water is flushed into the softener/soap area, and the drum doesnt start to turn.

Its never been over loaded and only really used once a week to do a few loads.

Any ideas of what the problem could be?

If you need any further information just ask.

Thanks

Catherine

Sponsored Links
tell us again what your symptoms are because you seem to contradict yourself over the motor. i.e. is it or is it not turning. before you reply try this:-

1. select spin only no.10
does it spin or at least rotate? and more crucially can you hear your drain pump running?
2. if the drum is turning and the pump is not, then that is why you aren't getting water in. your pump will be open circuit. fit another one.
3. if drum is turning and pump is running then try selecting rinse only. this will tell if the cold water valve is working. if it does then there shouldn't be any reason for it not to start the cycle apart from the door not latching.

Hi

Ive selected No 10, and you can hear the machine trying to do something like a humming, but the drum doesnt move at all. I dont think the drain pump is running.

Trying rinse only is the same, the machine is humming, but nothing else is happening, the drum doesnt rotate, and the pumps dont seem to run.

Do you think its worth repairing a 12 year old machine, or better to just get another one now, is this the start of the machine slowly breaking down bit by bit.

Thanks for you advice

Catherine

Just to update you on this machine, we have had an engineer out tonight and he has said the board has an error on it, which means the machine thinks its full all the time. He said he could replace the board which would be around £90 but that something is causing the board to go, so if it goes once it will probably go again.

I think we will now go and get a new machine, hes told us what makes to avoid and what to go for, Meile if possible (but we cant afford one of those).

He said our machine has done well lasting for so long without any faults.

Thanks for your help Keithwasherman.

Sponsored Links
i hope you read this before you go out to buy.
if the guy knows his job then i presume he checked for a blockage in the pressostat air bottle. to do this he would have had to remove the front panel. near to the botom of the tub there is a small plastic bottle with a pipe which runs up the right side of your machine before splitting between the lock and the pressure switch.
it is very very common for this to be blocked with sludge. carefully remove it and clean it out with fresh water and make sure there isn't any sludge in the pipe. reassemble the whole thing and try again.
perhaps a quicker way to check would be to try your machine first and if the fault is still there, remove the lid and on the right side you'll see the pressure switch. if you turn off the machine first you can then gently remove the pipe from the bottom of the switch and carefuly listen for a click. if this clicks even though there's no water in the tub you can then assume the aforementioned blockage and do as suggested.
i would buy a 1200 bosch or a 1200 zanussi or electrolux. don't be temted by a faster spin.

Yes he did check for a blockage and was very surprised that there was only a teeny bit of dirt in the bottle, he also cleaned the pipe too and reassembled and the machine still wouldnt work.

But I have followed his advice and yours by the looks of it and have bought the Zanussi ZWF1221W. The engineer said not to go for anything over 1200 as they can prematurely ruin the bearings plus theres not much difference on water removal from the clothes.

I got it from Comet, it was £249, plus £30 for delivery, connection and take away of my old machine. Im well chuffed cos its coming on Monday too, very impressed quick service.

Thanks for all your help Keith.

**PS quick extra question - Zanussi machines come with a 2 year guarantee dont they??**

Thanks

Catherine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back